Securing cable in void

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.
I’m about to move house. It’s woefully short on sockets with every accessory being a single, and only 2 singles per room.
I’m going to be doubling up some of the singles and installing new doubles in the same final circuit.
When running cables in the ceiling/floor void does the 18th edition allow me to use plastic clips in this space?

Cheers
Lee

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Yes, its within the structure of the building, and plasterboard is generally regarded as fire resistant. In the ceiling void above a commerical suspended ceiling the answer would be not without additional means of preventing collapse, those systems are not considered to have any fire resistance and generally collapse in a fire situation, especially when trumpon start with the hose pipes.....

Even where fire proof supports are required, plastic clips could still be used to support the cables in normal conditions, you just need to have some additional way of stopping it all collapsing and tangling folk up if theres a fire

Thanks.
I read the long discussion on this after the release of edition 18 and came to the same conclusion.
Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back