securing gate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya im completely new to all of this so pls b gentle lol. Ive just had a 6ft fence erected with the gate adjoining the gable wall of my house, despite my instruction the gate hinge side has been attched to the fence meaning the gate latch is to the wall and all thats been done to enable me to secure the gate was a small hollowed out divot in the roughcast for the snib to go into, unfortunately the roughcast no longer stops the gate from moving rendering the latch useless n my gate to swing open at the first small breeze. Im looking for solutions that i could do myself as i need it secure enough to allow my 3yr old son out into the garden without worrying he can get out or infact anyone else can get in....pls help!!!

Sponsored Links
Maybe a Surface bolt would do the job - Screwfix 75650 for example.
These can be fixed horizontally or vertically, lockable or otherwise.
You would have to fix the drilled plate to the wall for the bolt to shoot in to, though.
It doesn't sound like your installer gave the job too much thought!
John :)

Sponsored Links
Thanks very much for the replies, think the surface bolt sounds like the ideal solution to my prob as theres not alot of room between the gate and the wall......yeh John the guy didnt give it alot of thought, its a shame though as the rest of the job was fantastic :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back