securing kitchen floor cupboards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guys,
i am in the process of fitting a new kitchen, and have found out that the walls have been plastered using a dot and dab technique.
I am now trying to secure the cupboards to the wall, but as the walls have been dotted and dabbed for the plastering, the (normal) screws dont stick to it.
Has any one got any ideas of how i would be able to secure the cupboards?

Sponsored Links
If these cupboards are floor cupboards, as your title suggests, you don't really need to fix them. If your also fitting up wall cupboards, these can be set on a 2"x1" bearer piece. Fixed to the wall at the cupboards intended height, the fixings should go in wherever there is a dab behind the plasterboard. These bearer pieces can either be painted out with the colour of the wall (or close) or if they become hidden generally (under and to the back of the cupboards) and a light pelmet fitted, they are invisible. The cupboards are now bearing on the pieces and can be fixed in similar fashion at the top. In both cases the cupboards can be screwed through from into the the bearing pieces...pinenot :)

Fix as usual but drill 20mm deeper and push plugs all the way home then use screws 20mm longer.

For the wall cabinets, when you get to them, I strongly recommend hanging rail. It has lots of screw holes so you can fix at convenient points, not necessarily in the same place as the cabinet hanging brackets, and you can move the cabs along the rail if you want.

yyy to drilling through the plasterboard and void into the wall behind, using long screws and plugs.

Sponsored Links
thanks guys,
Just to make sure that i am getting the right end of the stick, so to speak.
Basically, i just need to put some bigger screws through, What colour wall plugs would you suggest, the brown or red ones?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back