Securing laminate sheet to wood

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Hoping for a bit of advice from someone a bit more knowledgeable than myself (and almost everyone on the planet would fit that description!). I am decorating my daughter's room which is the bedroom above the stairs and was wondering how to deal with the box that accommodates the slope of the stairs. I have more or less settled on fixing what is in effect a laminated table cloth to the wood covering and am wondering what is the most effective way to achieve this. I was thinking along the line of using a heavy duty upholstery style stapler to fasten the laminate under the lip of the wooden covering but am not sure if the stapler would be strong enough to penetrate the wood. is anyone able to offer any guidance and let me know if this would work, or if an alternative approach would be needed?

Many thanks,
Rob

Sponsored Links
If its thin like a table cloth, I would spread a thin coat of PVA glue across the wooden top to keep the cover firmly fitted. Staples would be fine for securing to the underside, as long as the staple gun is powerful enough and the staples the correct length. An electric stapler would certainly do the job, but a powerful hand one would also do the job.

sorry if I've been a bit vague. the description on the label is pvc fabric so it is a patterned cloth with a pvc coating on one side which is wipe clean, similar to tablecloths I have known.

I've been looking at staplers online and have seen a stanley one that takes 0-TRA7 staples, from what I can see, the staples seem to come in 8, 10, 12 & 14 mm sizes, would anyone recommend a particular size? I was thinking of getting the 14mm ones but for no reason other than they are the biggest and therefore may also be the strongest?

thanks again

Sponsored Links
In that case you just need 6mm twist stables [ they have tips cut at opposite angles] so when shot in to timber the legs of the staple twist in opposite directions making for a more secure hold.
You will need a sheet of mdf or ply cut to the dimensions of the top and then staple fabric to base of it around the edges.
You can just lay this on top or use velcro to secure, makes it easy to remove for cleaning or replacement.
Personally I would build a wardrobe on top of the box.

Personally I would use carpet layers double sided tape...pinenot :)

I would rather give the wood a good finish, a pvc tablecloth will look naff, especially folded at the corners and where it meets the wall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back