Securing Roof Joists to Wall Plates - Flat Roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi;

I am building a workshop in my garden, build thread here. I am just trying to work out exactly where to fit my roof joists but when I do I need some advice on fixing them to the wall plate.

Instead of firrings I have opted to fit an additional 50mm wall plate at the rear to give a 50mm drop over a 1.3 - 2.1m span (the roof is not square). This is more than required but the easiest to achieve.

Here is a pic of one of the joists sitting on the rear additional 50mm high wall plate. What is the preferred method of fixing these - angled screws in at either side?

HCnUOwm.jpg

And here is the joist on the opposite side (note there is still a header and cripple studs to be fitted in the door opening). Joist is not yet cut to length and will overhang 150mm - 200mm TBC.

NzGPMzt.jpg

And do I need some additional fixings such as any of these from Wickes.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
nah as long as the wallplate is fixed properly, skew nailing or screws will be fine.

Here is the first joist secured in place, hope it looks OK :)

UQ6yxK7.jpg

I opted for a 200mm overhang on the front for aesthetics. And a 20mm overhang at the rear.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back