Securing toilet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have had a number of problems with the bathroom fitters who have just finished my bathroom.

The major one is the installation of the toilet. They have put some sort of sealent under the bowl and told us not to sit on it for a day which is fair enough but a day later there is loads of movement. The cistern is not even secured to the wall, it's just sitting on the bowl which moves up and down and from left to right if you touch it. Whatever they put under the bowl is all cracke dand is obviously not doing it's job.

If I did attach the cistern to the wall the front of the toilet bowl would be maybe 1 cm above the floor. Any one know how to fix this? Can I pack it with some thing? Can you buy adhesive for this sort of thing? The fitters have left their tools at my house and will collect them tonight but to be honest I don't have much confidence in them after they left the job like this.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Pan should be screwed to the floor. There are special screws sold for the purpose with chrome heads - about 50p for 4 I think!

Traditionally cisterns were screwed to the wall with some sort of flex in the fixing if only a tap washer under the screw. Again you cann ow get special fittings - depending on the size of the holes. But that's if there ARE any holes! Some Roca cisterns don't have any, so all you can do is put a blob or two of silicone behind.

Most pan/cisterns dont come to 90º so the cistern touches just at the top - yours may be different, or it may be possible to reseat the cistern on the do-nut between c and p.

If it's a solid floor they don't fancy drilling, then a sufficient quantity of the right sort of sanitary silicone would hold the pan so you couln't move it.

Thanks

There are two screws at the back of the pan but none at the front. I assume they have used the screws but have covered heads with silicone.

There are holes in the cistern, they just haven't been used. The wall it should be attached to was put up by then, frame and plasterboard. I think they may have forgot they needed to attach cistern and and are worried it won't hold.

Assuming this is a closely coupled cistern, the main thing to ensure is you don't compromise the seal between the cistern and the pan by stressing it when fixing pan / cistern to wall. Would suggest that if your pan is level you leave it so and fix it (screws preferable). If this leaves small gap between cistern and wall, pack the gap, then fix through packing i.e. no stress on cistern / pan coupling. Last time I did this I used a cut down (to size of gap) white rubber door stop, already has hole in muddle....

Sponsored Links
I cut small pieces of 20mm overflow pipe to pack any gap between wall and cistern. Could try good old-fashioned large spring toggles to hole the cistern.

Fix the pan first though.

Have you paid them ?

There are two screws at the back of the pan but none at the front. I assume they have used the screws but have covered heads with silicone

Bet they haven't. Stick a pin in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back