toilet cistern

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi im having a bit of trouble with the toilet cistern atm. when i flush the toilet and it starts to fill up with water, it then gets to a level and keeps on running with out over flowing and the water runs into the toilet bowl how do i sort this out cheers

Sponsored Links
Hi

Sounds like the flush valve is not sealing with its seat.
What sort is it?

more likely to require the ballcock to be stripped and either cleaned out or the washer replaced, sounds as if it is overflowing down through the syphon, very unlikely to be a faulty syphon causing this.
turn off the water and disconnect the valve in the middle (near where the water comes out of) you will see a large washer which sits against the oriface to close the water supply, either the washer will be perished, (try turning it round as a temp fix, or there will be debris stuck in the oriface)

Sponsored Links
more likely to require the ballcock to be stripped and either cleaned out or the washer replaced, sounds as if it is overflowing down through the syphon, very unlikely to be a faulty syphon causing this.
turn off the water and disconnect the valve in the middle (near where the water comes out of) you will see a large washer which sits against the oriface to close the water supply, either the washer will be perished, (try turning it round as a temp fix, or there will be debris stuck in the oriface)
you were spot on kirkgas i did what you said and it was a bit of dirt that was causing the problem its working fine now cheers again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back