Security against burglaries

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone,

I'm currently looking at a property which we've fell in love with. However it has a double upvc french/patio door, which I don't like as I wouldn't feel safe.

I'm wondering how we can improve the security for it without having to lose it as it brings a lot of natural light into the living room.

Can I make it as secure as a standard wooden door?

The property already has an alarm, so what other methods could I increase in security?

Sponsored Links
Just a few things to consider:
Fit a PIR security light in the vicinity
Fit locking bolts to the inside that shoot up / down into the window frame (4 needed)
Remove exterior handles / cover any key holes or whatever.
John :)

The main danger area with a double glazed door is the lock itself. You want an anti bump and and anti snap lock. You can snap the lock off with the claw of a hammer, and then turn the inside mechanism to open it.

Does the alarm system have a glass break detector in that room, or a vibration sensor on the door frame. Once the alarm starts, most burglars tend to stop what they are doing, and scarper.

Thanks very much for your replies. I think you guys have slightly misunderstood. I haven't bought the house as yet and I'm in the middle of purchasing it. The owner has a bog-standard house alarm and no glass break / vibration sensors.

How would I get in myself without external handles?
Would an anti-bump/anti-snap lock be burglar proof and would it be able to stop hammer?

Sponsored Links
You can get the alarm system upgraded - after you've moved in. A glass break detector listens for the specific frequency made when glass breaks. uPVC doors are very easy to break into by an experienced professional, and an anti bump and snap lock (about £50) is a good safety measure - this is a simple DIY change. Otherwise, as Burnerman suggested, fit a PIR security light (although not much cop during the day) and locking bolts on the inside of the french doors. Look on you tube for anti bump and lock snapping.

Thanks doggit.

Don't laugh, but I was thinking other than implementing the great measures you've mentioned, that I drill a hole in the left & right walls and put an iron bar through at night time as an extra security measure. This would stop an intruder from opening the doors.

Does this sound like a daft idea?

Why do you wànt to get in from the outside?

Is it your front door?

Apart from your "final exit door" (usually the front door) your other doors can be secured by internal bolts, and the lock does not need an outside keyhole. That will prevent it being bumped, snapped or pulled.

When you want the french doors open, you can undo them from the inside. You would have to undo the internal bolts anyway.

Thank you. I'm happy in taking your excellent advice and removing the external handles an lock access..I'll have to wait until I get the property before I can judge what it needs, however I would be very grateful if you could kindly help me find a burglar alarm that can detect glass breakage and vibration detection?

Putting a single bar across the door won't stop a burglar. They will just smash another window. If a alarm won't put them off neither will a bar. If your that worried get security grills

As long as the doors are fairly modern and have multi-point locking they should be fairly secure.
If your really worried about security upgrade the euro cylinders to ABS locks and possibly upgrade the glass to laminated glass.

Thanks god and gazman16. Both of your suggestions are great and worth considering. The owners told me that the doors were put in approx 2009 when they had the extension built, so I would say they are pretty new.
I can see on ebay, you can pick up a retractable security grille for approx £400 or less depending on size.

It seems ABS locks are around £40, but this youtube video shows how to pick this lock???

Any ideas though what costs we are talking about for laminated glass?

Last edited:
Double glazed units toughened inside and laminated outside at normal full glass door sizes are about £100 each cost price.
With measuring, Fitting and disposal of the old glass you are probably looking at about £200 per pane unless you DIY it.

As for the locks, Any lock can be picked or defeated by someone who has the tools and the skills. Even Fort Knox still needs guards.

I have a lock picking kit and can open basic cheap locks in under a minute. An ABS I wouldn't even bother attempting and I have a little bit of skill and knowledge.
ABS have (I believe) the highest security rating you can get for this type of lock. Your average criminal is not going to invest the time or effort into learning how to open one and buy the tools, Hes just going to move on the the next house or find another way in.
So unless you are being targeted by some mastermind criminals after some multi million £ artwork I think they will do.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back