Security light question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I want to replace a normal outside light with a security light with PIR.
I also want to add a second late down the side of the house, and have both lights come on regardless of which PIR is triggered

I have purchased two Quanta lights from B&Q. I was under the impression I was going to link them together with 4 core cable, as I needed to link the two L1 terminals. However on looking at the lights they don't have an L1 connection, just L N and E. does this mean I cannot wire them up as I would like, without some sort of modification?

I am happy to swop these lights for something different or get an electrician in if I need to, but just wanted to ask the question

Thanks

DP

Sponsored Links
If you cannot access the switched line terminal of the fitting then you wont be able to have either of the PIRs switching on both lights.
In that case you will also find the manufacturer probably doesn't recommend it.
You need to find a fitting in which the switched terminal is available and an instruction is given for connecting a second light.(subject to load)
Bear in mind also that certain PIR lights play up when connected to another PIR light so this needs checking as well.

I think you can get radio linked PIR lights in B&Q, saves running a link between the two.

Thanks for the response guys. I will take them back and swop them for something more suitable

Regards,

Dan

Sponsored Links
You may need to take care and ensure that the sensors cannot "see" the other lamp. If they can then as soon as the lamps turn off they may immediately turn on again as the sensor(s) react to the change in the infra red image.

Thanks, the lamps are on seperate walls, one around the corner so they won't see each other

Providing I purchase two lamps that I can access the L1 terminal, and wire these together, will this produce my desired effect?

Thanks

It depends if the PIR part of the light has a relay output.
If it uses solid state output it may not like having 230V shoved up its chuff.

You'd be better off with two separate PIRs and lights, they are made for the job you are trying to do.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back