Security lights on fused spur timer?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys

I'm looking at putting up a few security lights outside in the middle of the house walls. 3 of those lights that go in the middle but shine up and down.

The inside is newly plastered so was thinking of going into upstairs floor boards and putting in a switched fused spur with a timer on it behind (on the inside) where each of the lights will be fit externally. The timer/fused spur will be accessible.

I have attached a picture of the spur I am thinking of using. Would this work or is there a better way I could do this (without chasing walls etc).

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201213-191640_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20201213-191640_Chrome.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 177
Sponsored Links
Not much point in using an ordinary on/off timer, because dusk happens at a different time each day, throughout the year. What you really need is either a solar clock to suit your latitude - very expensive, or you could use a Smart Switch(s) with Alexa, turn turn the lights on a dusk, off at dawn or a set time in the evening.

Why would anyone want lights shining up at the sky, they are wastfull and annoying?

use a Smart Switch(s) with Alexa, turn turn the lights on a dusk, off at dawn or a set time in the evening.

Why would anyone want lights shining up at the sky, they are wastfull and annoying?

Smart switch is a good idea.

The lights are shinning up and down. They are lighting up the property... make it look lived in.

Some properties you can get away with whacking a flood light on, some you can't.

Smart switch is a good idea.

I have 8x of them, to turn things on/off remotely, put lights on at dusk, off at 11pm etc.., plus various other things either locally or remotely via the Alexa app. The plug into a 13amp socket, then the light plugs into the switch, but you must have good wifi at the plug location. The 8x cost me around £48 on Ebay delivered.

Sponsored Links
I have 8x of them, to turn things on/off remotely, put lights on at dusk, off at 11pm etc.., plus various other things either locally or remotely via the Alexa app. The plug into a 13amp socket, then the light plugs into the switch, but you must have good wifi at the plug location. The 8x cost me around £48 on Ebay delivered.

I will investigate. Im a Google man myself so will see what there is.

My last house was automated so I know how they work etc and could definitely work well. Can you tell it to switch the socket on daily at sunrise and off at 11pm and it will adjust accordingly to sunset time?

I will investigate. Im a Google man myself so will see what there is.

My last house was automated so I know how they work etc and could definitely work well. Can you tell it to switch the socket on daily at sunrise and off at 11pm and it will adjust accordingly to sunset time?

Yes and no worries about power cuts up setting clocks, or the clocks getting out of sync with GMT/BST either. You can even set them to come on so many minutes before or after local dusk. I'm using some at the moment to turn Christmas lights on and off.

These are the ones I bought 8 of - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2Pack-Sm...var=622324142918&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Yes and no worries about power cuts up setting clocks, or the clocks getting out of sync with GMT/BST either. You can even set them to come on so many minutes before or after local dusk. I'm using some at the moment to turn Christmas lights on and off.

Sounds perfect

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back