Outside light fittings specify fused spur?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All,

I have fitted my new outside lights to the wall and have been busy chasing walls ready for my electrician.

The instructions for the new fittings specify ;

"Do not wire this fitting into the lighting circuit. Use a switched fused spur"
It doesn't quote any standards or regulations & I bought the lights from Homebase.

Is this normal? I had only allowed a backbox for a four way light switch from the lighting circuit for internal and external lighting for the new hall.
The outside lights are 5W low energy bulbs.

If I do need to follow this instruction, would it be ok to fit a switched fused spur above the chase for the four way switch, and still switch the lights through my four way switch, after the spur? (I would fit a 3A fuse to the fused spur)

Any opinions would be gratfully recieved..
I was wondering if statements like this in user instructions are normally ignored?

Many thanks,
Alex.

Sponsored Links
What size lamp is it? A correctly designed and installed circuit should suffice, what fuse is it stating in the FCU?

The lamps will be 2 x 5W 104x36 ES Low Energy 240Vac.
The extension has a planned consumer unit with a 6A MCB (Split off the RCD)

It appears to date back to days when a Double Pole Switch with neon was normal practice on outside light circuits - what I will do is to insert a DP switched fuse-connection unit with neon in the cable between the source of supply and light, and use that as the switch instead. Use a 3amp fuse in it.

Sponsored Links
Hello all,
thanks for your comments.
After speaking to a couple of local electricians over the weekend who install and certify, the opinion is that the lights will be satisfactory on the normal lighting circuit, and that Homebase may just be over specifying to cover themselves.

any thoughts :?:

Alex.

IMO if a circuit is taken outside then it should be done via a DP switch (so may as well use a DP switched spur as suggested above), this ensures that when you get water in the outside appliance you can completely isolate it to prevent having the whole circuit out of action whilst you wait for the electrician / for payday etc.

(but note I'm not a spark)

good point.
I guess I could have the fused spur somewhere else, and still use the light switches as I had planned. (I have a four way switch for Hall and outside lighting) two fused spurs in a row + another switch would look a bit OTT.

rednaxela said:
Hello all,
thanks for your comments.
After speaking to a couple of local electricians over the weekend who install and certify, the opinion is that the lights will be satisfactory on the normal lighting circuit, and that Homebase may just be over specifying to cover themselves.

any thoughts :?:

Alex.

Yes!! Have you spoken to the manufacturer to double check if you can do as you are proposing?

You said they were Homebase?

Ring them & ask for the importers details - they must be able to help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back