Security outside lights that come on with movement

Thanks for you help but I am sorry I cannot tell the difference.

JamesEB

Sponsored Links
I think for Mr Beams there are two options.

Networked means the lights talk to each other. If one is triggered they all turn on. This gives a far more "secure" look to the action I suppose. This is like WiFi for a computer but you won't need a computer or wireless at home, it will use its own frequency. https://www.mrbeams.co.uk/lights/netbright-spotlight-pack-of-2/

Wireless lights will be lights that need no (power) wires and are battery operated. this is not wireless in the computer since and each light does not talk to another https://www.mrbeams.co.uk/lights/spotlight/

All the lights you showed are battery operated so wireless, I think they like the phrase wireless as it makes them sound more impressive or is what folks search for.

If you want simple battery operated lights that turn on when someone walks passed what you linked will work. Going by their internal lights I have they will also be well built and have good instructions. Not silly bright but certainly enough to catch your attention and see a person there or see what you are doing if it's you taking out rubbish say.

Thanks again for taking so much trouble.

I shall want them not to talk to each other as they are in different locations so presumably that feature can be turned off?

JamesEB

Sponsored Links
just expect the batteries to run out every few weeks so keep this in mind when you install the light
if its too difficult [ladders/stretching unscrewing etc]to renew the batteries you probably wont bother
if its too easy then anyone can remove or disable the light

A definite design fault with these, they don't swivel left/right for fine adjustment when installing so as to give optimal cover.

Thanks.

I can't have wiring and I think I will go for Mr Beams as I have come to rather like them and thought I would go for the highest spec.

In a post above I listed four links to the 312, 350, 352 and 390 (which becomes 393 if qty 3 are bought).

I thought I would choose the 390 because with 300 lumens it appeared to have the highest spec.

As pointed out it does not have the talking to each other feature (which I don’t need in any case) and no mention of the one year battery life that is in the 350.

Can someone please tell me which one of them all has the highest spec ?

Thanks again for all of the help.

JamesEB

Last edited:
i hope you dont think i am being negative i am not just trying to give you the maximum useful information buuuuttt

i have a bosch 10.8v work light rated at 350LM and its very bright so suspect 300LM wont be at all bad
now heres the running time i would expect on your lights compared to my bosch dependant on battery capacity and consumption

my bosch is 10.8v so around 80% greater run time compared to 6v at 1ah/1000ma run time about 3h so would expect you to get around 1h40 mins
now if we assume 1min per operation and say 5 a day thats 20 days battery life now the actual may be far far better or far far worse but suspect between 10 and 50 days will be where it settles so keep the running costs in the back off your mind
if its a 50 day 7 sets off batteries a year how much is that cost about as much as the light again per year ??
if its say 14 days thats 25 sets a year

Last edited:
Thanks.

I can't have wiring so I have to have batteries. I am not overly bothered about the level of light. I have to place the order now.

I would appreciate it if someone would please reply to my message copied below.

I can't have wiring and I think I will go for Mr Beams as I have come to rather like them and thought I would go for the highest spec.
In a post above I listed four links to the 312, 350, 352 and 390 (which becomes 393 if qty 3 are bought).I thought I would choose the 390 because with 300 lumens it appeared to have the highest spec.
As pointed out it does not have the talking to each other feature (which I don’t need in any case) and no mention of the one year battery life that is in the 350.
Can someone please tell me which one of them all has the highest spec ?
JamesEB

Thanks
JamesEB

Last edited:
The "highest" spec is the one that comes closest to providing what you need. If all you really need is a couple of indicator lamps to come on when someone walks past the lamp then probably any one of those will be the "highest" specification.

Also check the manufacturer site. Might be cheaper than Amazon

https://www.mrbeams.co.uk/lights/ultra-bright-spotlight-pack-of-3/

https://www.mrbeams.co.uk/lights/spotlight-xt-pack-3/

https://www.mrbeams.co.uk/lights/spotlight-pack-of-3/

390 seem the brightest, hard to gauge which will offer the longest run time on each set of batteries. 390 used 1 extra d cell which helps against its larger power draw. Both ultra bright and normal spotlight seem to say up to 12 months of "usual" usage so looks good.

Seems you pay a bit more to get more brightness but otherwise about the same functionality and build quality. All seem to meet the requirements as you have described them.

Fitted a sola panel PIR security light, no wires, no electricity, no problem

on commercial use no but on a domestic looks certainly matter to most people.

You do want such a light to stick out tho, that is part of the deterrent no?

I cannot say any flood light looking external lights are pretty , and wired ones with large armoured cable or trunking wrapped around the house is also a bit of an eye sore.

I personally like the solar look although that 3 headed beast is a bit much for my humble area to illuminate I can see the appeal, the external solar panel will really help the install if not on a south / west facing wall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back