Country
United Kingdom
Hiya,
Not sure what I need for going online..

Am using all free (yes i'm tight but skint)versions of:

- 3rd. party firewall (windows one off)
- Malware
- Antivirus

Have I missed anthing? and should I be covered for botnets ?

p.s is it easy to setup mac address filtering on a router? thanks anyone.

Sponsored Links
That's the right idea but it would be better if you named the actual programs that you have installed and which version if you can find it.

Using FREE programs is fine, one of the main differences with them and the paid for versions is that you may have to manually update some of them and also do manual scans. the free versions of Malwarebytes Antimalware (MBAM) and SuperAntiSpyware (SAS) are excellent but do not auto update and they do not provide live protection, they will, however, shift almost all malware when you scan your computer with either of them.

No doubt you will get plenty of replies saying what the posters use for protection and what they think is best.

See my list NOW! That‘s What I Call Software. 1. at the top of this forum for some ideas of what to use. The list is 2 years old but the software keeps getting updated so the links are OK.

dave

Comodo Firewall
Microsoft Security Essentials
SAS (Paid version)
MBAM

p.s is it easy to setup mac address filtering on a router?

Is there a specific reason that you want to filter MAC addresses? Or is it something that you have heard about and think you need to do it?

If you enable MAC address filtering, only the devices with MAC addresses configured in the wireless router or access point will be allowed to connect.

How To Filter MAC Addresses To Secure Your Wireless Network

thanks Dave.m
wasn't sure if i could mention names..
using comodo fw
defender & spybot search & destroy in combination
avg

I am thinking of using the MAC address filtering option just to be another obsticle for those trying to get onto my BT router. :evil:

Sponsored Links
You seem to have enough protection, although I would advise getting MBAM and once a week update it and run a Quick Scan. Only takes about three to four minutes.

As for the MAC Filter, forget it. Your BT router will have a password to access it and that should be enough to prevent unauthorised use of your bandwidth by Joe Public. There are enough unprotected routers around so anyone wanting to use someone else's connection will do so without having to break the password to yours.

dave

Back