SEDBUK A open vent boilers

there really is not a single argument if favor of installing an open vent boiler..

If I do, I make it a one pipe combined feed & expansion system. The boiler requires a high limit overheat stat - few boilers do not have them these days.

Sponsored Links
Good advice above, I can't see anything wrong with a good open vent boiler.

However, we are experiencing build problems with the Broag Avanta. One duff gas valve earlier this year on an 18V, and a rivet missing from the fixing jig of a 28c this week causing it to fall apart out the box.

I might not be fitting many more of these at this rate.

Whilst I can appreciate that Big Burner does not like Vaillant (but I can't understand why), their build quality is consistently good.

Personally I would fit a Vaillant combi in preference to all other makes. From an installer perspective, I want the boiler to be complete and working, first time out of the box. The flue termination options on a Vaillant are very very varied.

As a customer I want it to look nice, be quiet in operation and be reliable.

And as a maintainer I want the boiler to tell my customer using an LCD display what the fault is, if they should call up. Nearly every time the boiler is low on pressure and they have forgotten how to recharge it 10 months down the line.

Good advice above, I can't see anything wrong with a good open vent boiler.

However, we are experiencing build problems with the Broag Avanta. One duff gas valve earlier this year on an 18V, and a rivet missing from the fixing jig of a 28c this week causing it to fall apart out the box.

I might not be fitting many more of these at this rate.

Whilst I can appreciate that Big Burner does not like Vaillant (but I can't understand why), their build quality is consistently good.

The gas valve on a Broag is a top rated German Dungs, so blame the gas valve maker. That can happen on any boiler. The Broag is a Dual temperature boiler - this sets it apart from the crowd. Understand what that gives. Vaillant are good but way overpriced for what they are, and their proprietary control systems leaves a lot to be desired, so not not state of the art. So, why buy them? It is best they get their products up to date. W-B are so far out of date in their control system it is a joke. I would just not buy their products when other superior designs are about.

Broag Avantaplus, Ethos, etc, use the OpenTherm control protocol and the Broag has additional points like integrated weather compensation, direct control of an external 3-way diverter valves to use the "dual temperature" option. Most "plumbers" do not understand what weather compensation does and offers. I have seen boilers with integral weather compensation and an inefficient on-off wall stat has been fitted and the weather compensation not used. The homeowners always state "the man never told us", or "he said they don't do anything". The ignorance surrounding boiler operation and installation is near total. I feel sorry for some homeowner being short changed and misadvised in I would say about 90% of cases.

Dual Temperature Control

What is gives. An e.g., is: The Broag (and Keston but avoid the make), has a 3-way "diverter" valve and cylinder stat wired direct into the boiler. When the cylinder calls for hot water via the cyl' stat, the boiler energies the 3-way valve and pumps water at full temperature into the cylinders quick recovery coil. This gives a rapid re-heat. When the cylinder is heated the 3-ways valve then moves to the CH port where it reverts to the outside weather compensated temperatures - this could be an economical boiler flow temperature of 40C.

This also means an UFH system can be run directly from the boiler - careful design of the zones is needed though. This simplifies installation and reduces installation cost enormously.

Dual Temperature Control

What is gives. An e.g., is: The Broag (and Keston but avoid the make), has a 3-way "diverter" valve and cylinder stat wired direct into the boiler. When the cylinder calls for hot water via the cyl' stat, the boiler energies the 3-way valve and pumps water at full temperature into the cylinders quick recovery coil. This gives a rapid re-heat. When the cylinder is heated the 3-ways valve then moves to the CH port where it reverts to the outside weather compensated temperatures - this could be an economical boiler flow temperature of 40C.

No different to a Vaillant with a VR65 fitted then.

A lot of manufacturers are now saying they don't rate open therm and are awaiting an alternative to be brought out.

Sponsored Links
Thanks everyone

there really is not a single argument if favor of installing an open vent boiler..

I've had several engineers look at the system with a view to diagnosis and, if necessary, replacement. Those that appeared to be most systematic and well-informed, and who were not just peddling the product that they knew about, favoured keeping the system open vent (or at least not using a combi). Perhaps appearances were mistaken.

I've heard that some of the open vent boilers with SEDBUK rating A don't behave well: they are best suited to pressurised systems. I'd like to know which ones behave well.

Specifically I've heard that this is true of Vaillant. Is it therefore likely to be true of Glow-Worm Ultracom or Flexicom?

In this thread Baxi Solo, Worcester CDi and Broag have been suggested (but Broag may have quality control problems and do not do an open vent model). Are there any others?

I've had no issues with glowworms on open vent systems. as good as any other. The flexicoms very well priced and more likely than most to cope with any "imperfections" in your existing system.

I've had several engineers look at the system with a view to diagnosis and, if necessary, replacement. Those that appeared to be most systematic and well-informed, and who were not just peddling the product that they knew about, favoured keeping the system open vent (or at least not using a combi). Perhaps appearances were mistaken.

If you have good mains pressure and flow and some dork suggests keeping tanks and cylinders, send him packing.

I've heard that some of the open vent boilers with SEDBUK rating A don't behave well: they are best suited to pressurised systems. I'd like to know which ones behave well.

Specifically I've heard that this is true of Vaillant. Is it therefore likely to be true of Glow-Worm Ultracom or Flexicom?

Total tripe.

In this thread Baxi Solo, Worcester CDi and Broag have been suggested (but Broag may have quality control problems and do not do an open vent model). Are there any others?

Do not buy British. Broag are excellent. They do have an open vent model; the 18v.

Dual Temperature Control

Which is extra and to get weather compensation you buy another expensive VR 400 unit. And they do not use "diverter" valves, only mid-position.

So all in all a lot of expensive proprietary tripe, when others have it all built in at a fraction of the price - and it performs better too.

Are you on commission?

Dual Temperature Control

Which is extra and to get weather compensation you buy another expensive VR 400 unit. And they do not use "diverter" valves, only mid-position.

So all in all a lot of expensive proprietary tripe, when others have it all built in at a fraction of the price - and it performs better too.

Are you on commission?

Are you on remeha commission bigbullshit? You have a cheek to question the skills and knowledge of gas4you etc who know and have done more in the trade than some cut and paste **** like you. :rolleyes:

Can't imagine the post above staying here for long.

Nice to see my installation pictures are in the new Oct 2008 Remeha catalogue too :LOL: , even so, I cannot claim to be as enamoured with Broag as BB.

I guess it is down to experience. :eek:

Dual Temperature Control

Are you on commission?

oh dear, once again , your knowledge of vaillant products is extremely poor. Shame because your normally very good at reading sales brochures.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back