Seep from waste pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having stripped out an old sink unit, I find one of the joints on the plastic waste pipe has a very slight, slow seep. Not sure if this has been there a while, or if the seal was disturbed when taking out the old unit. It appears to be a solvent weld fitting. Any suggestions as to the best way to approach sealing this up?

Sponsored Links
You could try to bodge it up using Ct1 or equivalent, but would be better cut out and renewed. A photo would help massively.

Here you go. I was hoping that this would be a straight swap - old unit out, new one in, connect up and go - but the cabinet edges etc won't line up neatly, and I suspect that a restructure is in order to make it prettier and more robust. Most of the pipes seem to be unsupported (or depended on the old unit for support) and they're not quite in the right place either. Probably obvious, but from left to right there is the washing machine waste; hot/cold connections for washing machine; sink tap hot; sink waste; sink tap cold; boiler condensate outlet.

The leak is on the right hand part of the white fitting where the condensate outlet comes in, where it meets the grey pipe,
DSC_7314.JPG

Sponsored Links
I'm now looking at how the new units fit around this pipework. The copper pipework is clear of the unit legs, and sits in the service void at the back, so other than some tidying up and a slight re-jig of the upper pipework to accomodate the new tap tails etc, I'm not going to do too much there. For the waste I think a re-do is needed. Because it will span two units I will need to cut holes in the side of two units (The unit edges will be just to the left of the 'T' where the waste pipe turns to the left). I'll also need to cut a hole in the base of the rh unit to allow the vertical section to come up into that unit. It strikes me that it would make sense to do that in compression fittings, and assemble it through the units. If I use solvent weld then it would be a pain when/if I was changing the units. Thoughts?

I've also been trying to identify the piece at the top of the vertical waste pipe where it comes out of the floor. I assume its a rodding point, but can't find that particular piece online. Is the bit above the 'T' just a combination of other pieces, or is it a particular fitting?

Whatever you do you should sort out the condense pipe to ensure it has a continuous fall and doesn't have a dip like yours has now. Support the flexi pipe or better still, replace with rigid plastic pipe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back