Seized shower temperature control

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Grohetherm 1000 shower which has two knob, one for flow and one for temperature. The temp control is seized. I can shift it with a lot of force, and the temperature does change, but it needs fixing. We live in a hard water area, is it likely to be fixable by stripping it down and descaling?

Thanks, j

Sponsored Links
You could remove it and submerge it in de-scaler, if that does not work then a new cartridge is needed.

Don't forget you might have to turn off the mains supply, so you will be without water until the mains are turned on again - unless there are isolation valves to the shower.

Andy

The shower does have isolators, bit once I strip it down it will need revealing with silicone so I'm trying to predict as much as I can.

is the cartridge the most likely thing to have seized? I can get a replacement for £75. Or could other bits seize? Of it is the cartridge, is that a sealed unit....if so I doubt dealer will penetrate to the interior.

Just my opinion but I've tried stripping these things down for a polish up, and they've leaked soon afterwards, more often than not......I'd go for a genuine Grohe cartridge and fit, test and forget.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Just my opinion but I've tried stripping these things down for a polish up, and they've leaked soon afterwards, more often than not......I'd go for a genuine Grohe cartridge and fit, test and forget.
John :)

Is that because the o-rings get worn or damaged? I was concerned about this, but I wanted to give it a go, the replacement is a lot of dosh. Must be possible to buy new o-rings from a plumbers merchant?

Get in touch with the makers and see if they do a service kit Mira do and they have all the o rings you need and a bit of lube as well by the way petroleum jelly is a good lube for shower parts and if you live in a hard water area fit a lime fighter to your incoming pipe that may help to keep down the scale good luck

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back