Self build extension costs

Brick/blockwork isn’t that hard to do if you take your time. Loads of videos on YouTube to learn from.

I was quite apprehensive about laying before I started, but you pick it up. I’d never be quick enough to earn a living doing it, but it holds my roof up.

Rendering will cover your sins too.
Of every “trade”, block and brickwork was the one I enjoyed the most. Dunno why, just seemed to be the furthest removed from a hobby DIYer and massive visual impact

Sponsored Links
In 2020-2022 ish I built a 9x3.3m single storey extension. 3m bifolds (£3k fitted), 3 x sk06 velux integra windows (£3k), vaulted ceiling, UFH in liquid screed. Cost about £20k. Had to have 1.2m deep trenches so the concrete cost £1.4k! Did everything apart from fit the bifolds and plastering.

Brick/blockwork isn’t that hard to do if you take your time. Loads of videos on YouTube to learn from.

I was quite apprehensive about laying before I started, but you pick it up. I’d never be quick enough to earn a living doing it, but it holds my roof up.

Rendering will cover your sins too.
Its probably the one that makes me the most nervous. Plastering is probably technically more difficult with timings etc. But if you mess it up, a bag of plaster isn't much.

I've done no brick laying at all so I'm wary of then taking on a full extension. I think for me its getting the mix right for the mortar.

I've just read through your thread and its been super helpful, so thank you for linking it. You've done an incredible job!

Its probably the one that makes me the most nervous. Plastering is probably technically more difficult with timings etc.
Bricklaying to a high standard is by far the most difficult trade to master. It's more of a craft. Plastering becomes a chore when there are large areas and lots of suction.
There are lots of demanding aspects to a build, right form getting the drains and foundations right up to fitting the lead and cutting around the Velux windows.
You also need to be aware of all of the Building Control nuances that can trip you up right from the beginning. One job we did (in clay) a couple of summers ago, involved a foundation right next to a high water demand tree. I purposely got the BCO out PRIOR to hiring the digger so that we could discuss the depths needed to get around the issue.
Remember, Building Control are there to check and not babysit. (y)

Sponsored Links
Bricklaying to a high standard is by far the most difficult trade to master. It's more of a craft. Plastering becomes a chore when there are large areas and lots of suction.
There are lots of demanding aspects to a build, right form getting the drains and foundations right up to fitting the lead and cutting around the Velux windows.
You also need to be aware of all of the Building Control nuances that can trip you up right from the beginning. One job we did (in clay) a couple of summers ago, involved a foundation right next to a high water demand tree. I purposely got the BCO out PRIOR to hiring the digger so that we could discuss the depths needed to get around the issue.
Remember, Building Control are there to check and not babysit. (y)
That’s the worry I have. It won’t be to a high standard but I’d probably go the render route so I guess it doesn’t matter too much. I assume most of the assistance tools you get with bricklaying are a bit gimmicky other than the corner levelling things.

Are there alternatives to brick and block that are more diy friendly? I know there are loads of options but curious what the more value based ones are.

If you are prepared to plan and are handy, then a it is possible to achieve good results without being a professional builder. These are my two latest projects - garage is single skin block with piers, trusses, and cement board cladding on a raft and the garden room is SIPs on a wood sub frame and easypad foundation, again clad in cement board. Both with slate roofs. The garden room is fully finished with plasterboard, plaster, joinery etc. Garage cost £10K in materials during lockdown, the garden room £15K in materials recently finished. Plus a bit for electrics. Both projects 100% my and wife's work - apart from electrics, we planned and did the lot.

The challenge is going to be building control - both these projects didn't need it, but this is where you are going to need to be very careful with self-build. As @kingandy2nd has shown in his thread with a much bigger project than mine, it IS possible to DIY a build.

Attachments

• garden4.jpg
    garden4.jpg
    349.8 KB · Views: 12
  • garage2.jpg
    garage2.jpg
    357.1 KB · Views: 12
The challenge is going to be building control - both these projects didn't need it, but this is where you are going to need to be very careful with self-build.
Agree. There is nothing they like less than a needy diy-er with lots of issues. Even the architects can get it wrong and need their work checking, so you are not necessarily in the clear, even if you have a drawing. God forbid if you have to start pestering the designer or the S.E. :oops:

Yes - it is doable, but make sure you have lots of energy, plenty of nous and an understanding wife. I built my two storey extension with two small sprogs running about. :giggle:

If you are prepared to plan and are handy, then a it is possible to achieve good results without being a professional builder. These are my two latest projects - garage is single skin block with piers, trusses, and cement board cladding on a raft and the garden room is SIPs on a wood sub frame and easypad foundation, again clad in cement board. Both with slate roofs. The garden room is fully finished with plasterboard, plaster, joinery etc. Garage cost £10K in materials during lockdown, the garden room £15K in materials recently finished. Plus a bit for electrics. Both projects 100% my and wife's work - apart from electrics, we planned and did the lot.

The challenge is going to be building control - both these projects didn't need it, but this is where you are going to need to be very careful with self-build. As @kingandy2nd has shown in his thread with a much bigger project than mine, it IS possible to DIY a build.

Nice work! Thanks. I’ve done a fair few bits on my current house so it’s given me some experience. Especially as that’s involved fixing so much poor work done by the previous owner. I’ve reclad the dormer stripping it right back to frame, garage conversion, refit a flat roof, changed all the windows and front door, cut a doorway into the garage conversion. Fitted an en suite from scratch (nothing there before), moved radiators, put up stud walls plus plenty of other bits.

The only time I got someone is was to fit an awkward steel so I could remove a small wall and then a plasterer to skim coat the steel (I boarded it for them). Plus someone to brick up the bottom of the window of the garage conversion as the sides were wonky.

Have used building regs and found a good private company that were actually super supportive. I get your point though. They didn’t mind advising on a few questions but I’m sure they’d have their limit.

Agree. There is nothing they like less than a needy diy-er with lots of issues. Even the architects can get it wrong and need their work checking, so you are not necessarily in the clear, even if you have a drawing. God forbid if you have to start pestering the designer or the S.E. :oops:

Yes - it is doable, but make sure you have lots of energy, plenty of nous and an understanding wife. I built my two storey extension with two small sprogs running about. :giggle:
Completely get it. I’ll save my neediness for on here

Had a decent structural engineer for the steel I had. She was very nice too. Although I’ve got a degree in engineering myself it’s not so focused on the civil side. It does help for the problem solving though!

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back