Self build shed... How hard?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need a shed and looking around I'm struck that they are either really expensive or look really cruddy.

Considering they all come as flatpack requiring assembly anyway, how much harder is it to just build from scratch? I've built a few simple structures before... Log stores from pallets, a shelter for my mower.

I figured especially if I could find some sample plans/designs the construction can't be that hard. Isn't it basically a combination of fencing/stud walls plus figuring out a roof?

Sponsored Links
Not difficult - it's fairly basic hammer and nails carpentry. Just don't expect it to be cheaper, because it won't be

There are various books on shed building out there to help

rLBykAR.gif

Sponsored Links
Not difficult - it's fairly basic hammer and nails carpentry. Just don't expect it to be cheaper, because it won't be

There are various books on shed building out there to help
Indeed, for a mass produced bog standard garden shed, buying the materials separately could well be more expensive than buying the flat pack version.

Self build sheds come into their own if you need a custom size or shape. A DIY one in this case will be a lot cheaper than employing a chippy to make you one.

It's not difficult at all (basic shed) but as said it won't be cheaper unless you can use reclaimed materials.

My neighbour put up a new shed in a weekend (although he hasn't actually finished the roof yet, surprised the felt stayed on in the recent wind!)

I did once consider making one with fence panels .... I didn't though. But ...

Interesting point on price, my other qualm with cheaper sheds is they really don't look very good when you see them on display. Flimsy, wobbly, etc. But I suppose that might at least partly be down to whoever constructed it doing a half-assed job?

Interesting point on price, my other qualm with cheaper sheds is they really don't look very good when you see them on display. Flimsy, wobbly, etc. But I suppose that might at least partly be down to whoever constructed it doing a half-assed job?

No, unless paying big money, they're mainly flimsy tat.

they sell them on as ex display so wont be well put together to get apart easier or fully loaded up that gives them a "more solid feeling"
as others have said add 30-50% plus tools on top off the cost to get same quality or a bit better

Last edited:
I've got 2 of these, one is about 10 years old and still in goodish condition.

https://gards.co.uk/product/apex-shed/
That reminds me of another thought, if I understand rightly they are saying they provide a base treatment to last a few months only - so the equivalent of splashing on some Ronseal?
If I built my own I would probably consider using pressure treated timber throughout... is that a waste of time?

I think I read here that pressure treated timber is much better than treating it yourself.

I've had my shed on a plastic base for most of the time (now half plastic, half on concrete) and this I think helps as shed not in contact with the ground and more airflow.
Other 2 sheds on concrete though. But is dry.

I used a treated 2x4 frame and clad internal walls with osb , external with feather edge boards.Felt roof over more osb.

Looking at that link @Djangobanjo shared I was a little unimpressed they appear to describe the main timbers as 2x1" or have I mis-understood? Because my chicken run is made of that!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back