Self certification and tester

Yet another useful post from BAS
I'm glad you enjoyed it - it was a bit of light-hearted humour, nothing more.

Apologies to anybody who thought it was otherwise because I didn't add a wink.

:confused:

(P.S. - What odds do you want to offer me that none of my jokey answers are not reasonably close to what some "electricians" give? ;) )

Sponsored Links
I am fully aware of what is involved in the 2391 theory and practical exams. This is what we have been studying for. It is certaintly a tough exam.

You will not be fully aware of what is involved in the C&G guilds 2391 until you have taken it and as for studying for it, you can only study for the exam component. Preparation for the practical component comes from real experience of inspection & test of which you have virtually none.

I have 2 electricians who will give me advice if i need it and the training college say as a ex student i can phone them up for advice too. I feel i am ready for this and am going to do it.

Will you tell your clients that you have virtually no experience and will need support to do the job?

I don't care that you did "diy" you have not been trained correctly. Anyone can take and pass C&G2392, it offers virtually no preparation for self employment and is nothing more than an introduction to inspection & test.

Yet another useful post from BAS

Well, I found it more palatable and more honest than yours. As said, I am sick and tired of the ingress of untrained people into the industry who have the audacity to allow themselves to be confused as electricians. What you should do is work for a professional company for at least two years and study electrical science but you seem to think that you are above all that and frankly I have no time for such nonsense.

By the way where are the answers to the questions? Even those too difficult for you?

I only mentioned the electricians i can call to show that i have some back up, i expect to use these people very rarely.

You maybe sick and tired of 'untrained' people entering your industry, but thats not my problem. I feel i know enough to make a good job of home electrics and thats what i am going to do. I am doing things the legal way and you still have a go at me.

I posted on here for help with choosing a tester and a self cert scheme. Only one of you bothered to answer my questions. Instead i get quizzed and told i dont know enough to do this. I am not going to answer your questions, i have done enough recently.

I cant believe how unhelpful the electrics section of this site is. I am just not going to bother anymore

By the way my post wasnt dishonest

I don't obviously know if that's true.

But if you'd have responded to the questions asked you would have silenced your detractors. Even if you got a few wrong in my opinion.

I don't see how you can hope to pass the 2391, but please do let us know if you do. Please also try (if you have not got the hump with me too) to remember what the scenario you get for the question 26. And what was asked.

I took this exam in June, and the trouble is because of the 85% pass mark, you can do really well and still fail. You just don't know. I also agree that 2 years T&I is pretty essential to pass. I know there are some people that can swallow a book and regurgitate it at will, but they are normally already lawyers :D .

Good luck.

Do you want me to recommend a tester for you?

Sponsored Links
You maybe sick and tired of 'untrained' people entering your industry, but thats not my problem. I feel i know enough to make a good job of home electrics and thats what i am going to do. I am doing things the legal way and you still have a go at me.

Oh it's your problem alright, you just have not felt the impact yet and what is legal or ethical about presenting yourself as an electrician when you are under qualified and under experienced? Or are you going to tell your clients that you went on a course that can be completed in one week?

Again, C&G 2392 certainly does not make you a qualified electrician (not even close) and 20 years of unsupervised DIY does not either. You can't do part of something right and expect the whole thing to be right. You need to follow through under supervision for at least two years. You say it is not your problem but it will be because you are setting yourself up as master of your own demise and diluting the knowledge and skill level of an industry that you want to make a living from.

Would you be treated by a doctor who had a GCSE in medicine?

Instead i get quizzed and told i dont know enough to do this. I am not going to answer your questions, i have done enough recently.

But that is the point, you have not done enough yet, you need to follow through and work for an approved company for at least two years then you will have done enough. What is it you don't understand about that?

I cant believe how unhelpful the electrics section of this site is. I am just not going to bother anymore

You have received good advice, you refuse to accept reality. You think you know better but deep down you know there is NO substitute for professional training and experience.

It is dishonest to present yourself to paying clients as an electrician when you are clearly not. Just because others do it does not make it right. I at least hope you don't kill someone or burn down a property.

Just a quick update on what has been happening in my new career as a domestic installer and the C&G 2391 exam.

Well i researched into testers and I bought a Kewtech KT64 and have been very happy with it.

I registered with Elecsa in november and have been working as a domestic installer since then. As can be expected it has been hard finding enough work having just set myself up but i am doing ok. My name is getting out there through recommendation and things are looking good. I have come across some interesting problems but have solved them. I solved one job that 3 'electricians' had failed to solve.

As for the C&G 2391, well i took the exam in october and although a tough exam i didnt find it that bad. I received my pass in January!!! Woohoo

My missus had twins in september so i had been putting off doing the practical until things had settled into a routine at home. I took my 2391 practical last week and i passed that too.

I am now the proud owner of a 2391 certificate (well when it gets posted to me)

To get the 2391 isnt easy, it does require a lot of revision. However i find electrical work very logical and that has helped me. To all the detractors who suggested that i wouldnt pass the 2391 without 2 years of experience i suggest that they realise that some people have a natural affinity with logical things like electrics and adjust any advice they give regarding the 2391 in future.

The 2391 exam is a bit of a strange subject.

I will admit that I took it too early, I was offered it at the end of my CG parts I and II, and revised well and passed it. I have also known people I would regard as competant electricians fail it.

To a certain extent a basic grounding in electrical theory coupled with learning the topic along with revising it can get you through the exam, where you go from there is another matter... does that make one an electrician though? well not really.... it didn't me.

I was lucky, I got into the contracting sector as an improver, shadowed people for a bit, made daft mistakes that apprentices do, that people expected me not to because I was older...

Even now a good few years done the line, having done few years in the trade and got my JIB card etc, I'm more maintance/testing/design/fault finding based ..... I'm not the guy you'd choose to make off big SWAs or conduit a whole site out, quite simply because I'd be too slow at it, as its not something I do much of!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back