Self inflicted problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, 35 years ago when in the flush of youth i removed a chimney breast from my living-room and on the advice of a builder(?) aquaintence left the one above unsupported "as it's corballed". I have had no problems since then (cracks etc) but since joining this forum i'm a lot wiser and worried and would now like to get it supported with an rsj from the exterior wall to the load bearing interior wall. Problem is that where the rsj would sit in the interior wall at ceiling height there is already an rsj which is the support for when i had two rooms knocked into one. Is there a solution as I understand that gallows brackets are now frowned upon?

Sponsored Links
I think they stopped using gallows in 1964

Am surprised at that as i've found several for sale from firms on the net

Sponsored Links
SNN2505GX1-280_441898a.jpg

Doh!

Beaten to it by Alistair!

Too busy reading macabre stories about hanging than to press 'submit post'. :p

although i have a good sense of humour i fail to see how the above replies in any way help me in what was a serious question on what is usually a helpful site.

After 35 years don't you have anything better to worry about!!

As the ol saying goes 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' - and if you really must then go for a 'gallows bracket'!

Regards

Thanks for that alittlerespect and blagard, feeling a little more reassured now. i suppose 35 yrs is half a lifetime.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back