Self install alarm questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, first post and all that, just about to move in to our first owned house, been renting for years.

I would like to upgrade the security once we move in, after changing the locks and adding extra bolts to the garage door, I want to install a wireless alarm system. Can anybody advise me on what system to go for, and where / what type of sensors to use? We do not have any pets so that makes things a bit easier, I would like the garage covered, the patio doors in the dining room look like a weak point. If possible I would also like to cover a shed (has power) that's right on the limit of 30m from the house. I have read quiet a bit on here and one option is the Pyronix Enforcer Kit-3, this has 4 x PIR, 1 x magnetic contact (costs £250). I would like to have or add some form of phone dialling system as well, and possibly smoke alarms. The layout of the house is below.

layout.jpg

Cheers

Jon

Sponsored Links
Why choose wireless instead of wired ? The Pyronix is a system that uses two way communication and thus will be far more reliable than those systems that still use one way communication.

But like almost all domestic alarms the system uses a radio channel which is licence exempt and anyone can use that channel for a variety of uses which may block your system's communications.

I would go for a hybrid sytem,most of that layout can be done by drilling back into the garage , pir in the lounge , pir in the hallway , pir utility , dt or contact on the garage door , keypad in the hallway , front door . Leaving the dining room landing and shed , a Texecom 48 wireless kit with comm2400 will give you the comms option , shed can be a separate area (set all the time ) . The Texecom is going to be harder to set up but long term may work out cheaper than the enforcer !

Main reason is speed of installation, and I would like to be able to bench troubleshoot the full system before installation.

Cheers

Jon

Sponsored Links
Main reason is speed of installation,
About the only advantage.

and I would like to be able to bench troubleshoot the full system before installation.
Bench testing wireless linked equipment only tests the functions and not the communications which can be affected ( prevented ) by walls and other things which are not on the bench

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back