Self Levelling ...Err No!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I tried some of the screwfix self levelling compound in my 2m x 2m toilet, which had a concrete floor, I needed to raise the level and also level any deviation on it..

Problem being when I put a straight edge on it now, its not level and the side are a fair bit out pushing 8mm...

I'm not keen on self levelling compound any more its more hassle than its worth, but I thought I'd give it another go, and the results as mentioned were poor..

My question being, how can I rectify this, someone suggested placing sand down to level like silica sand as I'm only putting laminate down in the room..

Any suggestions... alternative ideas, patch it up or rip up?? :(

Thanks

Sponsored Links
use the green felt type sheets as underlay as they will take out the amount of discrepency of 8mm which you have.

Bit of a hijack, but why did it not self level?

Sponsored Links
The compound does'nt 'self level' on it's own, it takes some skill when it's spread on by the person laying it, to build the low areas up and keep the high areas at a minimum coverage. You should use a straight edge whilst you are laying it to ensure that the level is going down evenly. Once the level is achieved, as the compound dries, it will dry uniformally. Once the floor is dry you can use a rubbing block to even out any trowel marks etc (not 8mm of difference though).

There is definately a 'knack' to getting it right, and there are some products that are easier to use than others. F-Ball and Ardex seem to be the choice of many pro's, I know my fitters would'nt touch any of the DIY 'sheds' products through past experiences.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back