self levelling screed on top of painted concrete?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all, having an absolute nightmare with a 25m area to be slate tiled.

i was wondering rather than grinding off the paint, which is taking ages and trashing the house, i could pour a thin coat of self levelling screed to the concrete to provide a good key for the adhesive?

i hired a power stripper from brandons and after about 5m2 all i hve succeeded in doing is destroy the grinding head on the tool. the paint has come off in patches but where it wasnt trowelled off, its refusing to budge! not to mention a very unhappy wife with the generated dust (despite putting up dust sheets its got everywhere)any other sugtestions like a re-screed.

who the f@ck paints internal flooring anyway?

Sponsored Links
hi all, having an absolute nightmare with a 25m area to be slate tiled.

i was wondering rather than grinding off the paint, which is taking ages and trashing the house, i could pour a thin coat of self levelling screed to the concrete to provide a good key for the adhesive?

i hired a power stripper from brandons and after about 5m2 all i hve succeeded in doing is destroy the grinding head on the tool. the paint has come off in patches but where it wasnt trowelled off, its refusing to budge! not to mention a very unhappy wife with the generated dust (despite putting up dust sheets its got everywhere)any other sugtestions like a re-screed.

who the f@ck paints internal flooring anyway?

just a thought, rather than taking it back to the raw concte if i keyed the surface then used an sbr slurry mix, would this work?

You could use a good smoothing compound like mapei latexplan or Ardex na as two examples. However they are bonding to the strength of the paint that is down. You need to make sure that they will bond to the paint.

Is this a new build house by any chance? if so then send in a complaint.

You could also shot blast or grind of with good equipment. Not really the sort of thing you can hire.

Sponsored Links
You could use a good smoothing compound like mapei latexplan or Ardex na as two examples. However they are bonding to the strength of the paint that is down. You need to make sure that they will bond to the paint.

Is this a new build house by any chance? if so then send in a complaint.

You could also shot blast or grind of with good equipment. Not really the sort of thing you can hire.

Matty, thanks for the reply. Its not a new house, conservatory is a bit of a gash on and this is one of the last jobs on a list of "putting right botched internal jobs". I have hired a hand held grinder, I was looking at a pro line thing that woud have cost a bomb and needs a 32 amp supply, which I dont have.

I gave it a quick go with some leftover slurry, first impressions are its worked pretty well.. get your point about it only being as strong as the paint adherence, however, as I am finding, the paint is stuck on a little too well!

How can I test the small area I have slurried? I trowelled it on at around 0.5-1mm on a scratched up area and is drying nicely, would you reccommend trying to scrape it or do I need to try and stick down a tile using the flexible adhesive to see how it will hold up?

Want this slate sticking down for the next 40 years, not the next 40 minutes!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back