Self-stick tiles, do they need more glue?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to put down self-stick tiles. First time I have use self-stick. I've not peeled the backing off yet to see how 'tacky' the glue is.

Should I be considering adding my own vinyl adhesive on the back or is that not necessary or even a no-no?

Sponsored Links
I wouldnt add anything to it.

What surface are you sticking onto ?.

is it smooth and clean ?

Alan

It's going on fairly new underlayment that is already there.

It's my sister's place. About 10 years ago she had self-stick tiles put down. When they did that, they also put down fresh underlayment.

I pulled a few tiles. The underlayment is in very good condition. But, there are "dirt" lines where junk got down in between the seams. My plan was to hand sand those lines.

But, some of the previous glue residue is on the underlayment. You can't actually see it, but you can feel it. It seems tacky. I don't think my sanding is going to get rid of that.

Do I need to worry about it?

jhilb
I wouldnt work to that base as the tile glue is adhering to the old glue substrate , get rid of the sticky gunk, sanding or see your builders merchant for a turps type like liquid to remove it , :)
hope this helps

Sponsored Links
Hi

Just to add to what's been said - we put down vinyl type self stick tiles a few years ago and they were very sticky. When we got them back up recently I played a heat gun over them and used a scraper, they came up really easily. The residue glue on the floor was so strong that if I stood still for more than a few seconds it was hard to pull my foot back off!

The same thing applies when putting them back on - heating the top of the tile with a hairdryer or heat gun for a few seconds seems to make the glue even more sticky, don't do this for more than a few seconds though as it temporarily softens the tile. I'd probably have ventilation when you do this as I don't know whats in the glue.

As for prep, make sure the surface is as clean and dust free as possible before you start.

Amanda

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back