Self wire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

just about to complete a side extension (garage / utility / bedroom etc) - we have obviously submitted full plans under labc, and they have done many inspections, question is this:

can i wire it myself, and get it inspected (at no cost) under the normal inspections that will be occuring anyways?

if so, anything to be aware of, best way to go about etc?

ta

Sponsored Links
1) When you applied for Building Regulations approval what did you say would be the way you'd ensure compliance with Part P? If you said nothing specific you may have tacitly agreed to whatever the council want - you should check their website.

2) Re costs they can now charge extra if they want, and charge per visit, and charge if they subcontract it.

3) To do it properly you have to know how to design and install circuits safely, so cable derating calculations, voltage drop, fault loop impedance considerations, routes, rules for joins, earthing and bonding requirements, rules for RCDs, circuit segregation, energy efficiency....

Your best bet is to talk to your BCO, and see what their attitude and charges will be.

Ok guys - thanks

i am going to self wire, i will notify at the start of the wiring (obviously they already know abouth the building works and have done several inspections)

its a full plans submission, but i see there might be an inspection charge - hey ho..

now, is there any good source for wiring guidelines?, in plain english - i'm happy with all the technical connections etc and general rules about where cables can run down walls etc, but it would be nice to read a general document to make sure i dont trip up over any silly rules, such as "wires must be nailed with plastic clips not staples" - or anything like that :)

thanks

Sponsored Links
Ok guys - thanks

i am going to self wire, i will notify at the start of the wiring (obviously they already know abouth the building works and have done several inspections)

its a full plans submission, but i see there might be an inspection charge - hey ho..

now, is there any good source for wiring guidelines?, in plain english - i'm happy with all the technical connections etc and general rules about where cables can run down walls etc, but it would be nice to read a general document to make sure i dont trip up over any silly rules, such as "wires must be nailed with plastic clips not staples" - or anything like that :)

thanks

You will need to notify BC before you start the wiring and see what they say regarding the testing and certification of your work.

If you are going to do the work yourself then the 'silly rules' are the least of the issues that should concern you.

As a minimum you want the On site Guide, the Electricians Guide to the Building Regulations - these will give you a lot of information regarding design, installation and inspection and testing. You will need to refer to the Approved Document Part P of the Building Regulations and BS7671 17th Edition.

Where are you going to get your test equipment from?

You will need a multi function device(s) that allows you to conduct continuity, insulation resistance, earth fault loop impedance, prospective fault current and RCD test.

er - thanks, any chance of some help then?

Where can i get a copy of the "on site guide" - preferably online

what is the best, and most resonably priced place to get such a tester? - bearing in mind i will only use for this job?

I have a copy of Part P, the 2006 edition is the most current, correct?

You should be able to get the On site Guide BS7671:2008 and the Electricians guide to the Building regulations (updated to 17th Edition of IEE wiring regulations) at Amazon. They are between £15/20 each.

As for Testers - not sure you can hire them - new between £500 and £800 second hand, check on Ebay.

No real need for you to have a tester. If you notify this work, BC will be responsible for inspection and testing. They can now charge for doing this. Unless you can do what I managed to do, and convince your LABC you have the competence to conduct your own testing and submit the full EIC yourself, there's little point other than piece of mind in buying test gear and testing yourself, as it will still all have to be tested by BC or their subcontracted sparks anyway.

er - thanks, any chance of some help then?

Where can i get a copy of the "on site guide" - preferably online

By the way - you'll have to have a little more resourcefullness if you really hope to be able to teach yourself enough to do this job! For example...

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=on+site+guide

LiamPope - thanks, i already have found the OSG, just was a little narked at the last post - didnt really tell me anything useful :)

Like i said, i'm happy i can complete to a good enough standard, done plenty of electrics before to satisfy my own standards (non notifiable stuff of course), but just wanted to make sure i had a list of things that MUST be done in a certain way to avoid any gotchas on inspection...

DIY wiring can be done, even a full rewire - myself and others here have done it. I got by with John Whitfield's Electrician's Guide and the OSG, but far more imoprtant than that was a lot of time on here with the search function (and the handy related threads links at the bottom of pages). You will find extensive discussion and debate on every contentious issue of the regs and every matter of best practice, but read the books first so you know what you're looking for on here.

What you will find (and are already finding) is that you're often given short shrift by the many pro's if you just come straight on here asking naive questions that show you haven't even bothered trying to read around the subject yourself and are blissfully unaware of just how much you dont yet know. Nobody will spoon feed you step-by-step instructions on how to do major work because it would be dangerously irresponsible to do so. You need to take charge and be prepared to learn what is required, ideally before diving in.

Good luck :)

what is the best, and most resonably priced place to get such a tester? - bearing in mind i will only use for this job?
Will you really only use it this once?

Never again will you move house/install a new circuit/uprate a circuit?

Or want to fault find?

See this topic //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=249463 for (hopefully) soon to be answered questions about a Metrel on eBay. (Metrel is not a premium brand, but the reasons for that may be of no relevance to a DIYer.)

I also recommend looking for Beha Unitest testers on eBay - there's nothing wrong with them but they are a lesser known brand and therefore attract less interest when sold.

http://desc.shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?...=1&_trksid=m194&ssPageName=STRK:MEFSRCHX:SRCH

If buying on eBay one way to improve your peace of mind is to ask the seller if they are prepared to get the tester(s) calibrated, and add the cost of that to the invoice. They might not want the aggro, but it's worth an ask.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
LiamPope - thanks, i already have found the OSG, just was a little narked at the last post - didnt really tell me anything useful :)...

What's with the attitude!!!!! Why were you narked!!!!!

The information I have given you, if you read the post properly, will start you on the road to completing the task you asked about. If as you implied that you are already aware of the OSG then why are you asking about 'sources of wiring guidelines' - why are you wasting peoples time.

Like i said, i'm happy i can complete to a good enough standard, done plenty of electrics before to satisfy my own standards (non notifiable stuff of course), but just wanted to make sure i had a list of things that MUST be done in a certain way to avoid any gotchas on inspection...

You own stardards are immaterial - the standards you should achieve are set by the Building Regulations and they refer to BS7671 as the preferred method of achieving those standards - hence the two books.

Normally, I am more than happy to give of my time and experience as an electrician to the DIYer but your response and your obvious ignorance of the subject matter at hand leads me to believe that BC will not become involved and the work will be completed, 'to satisfy my (your) own standards', whatever we say.

hey, i dont wanna upset anyone here - but my question was "is there any plain english documentation" - i'm fully aware there is all the official docs, but as i'm sure you agree, these, whilst very useful, can be somewhat heavy reading.

I simply wondered if there was anything else worth a look..

Riveralt - apologies if i have upset you, but i read the posts in the wrong order and missed your second one :(

Obviously BC will be involved - they are already, as i stated.

Thanks everyone, much appreciated-

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back