Self wiring in kitchen - uncertified

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just found what looks like new wiring in the kitchen of my renovation project that wasn't declared on purchase (by auction) and indeed appears to be very recent as it's got fresh plastering over the channel and the wiring ends in the box look very recent. I've contacted the seller and they deny it and have no documents.

I've done some basic checks myself and the circuit seems good, but I don't want any issues when I sell on. Is there anyway a buyer could know this wiring is new once it's all covered up and decorated? Should I consider getting an electrician to certify it?

Advice please :)

Sponsored Links
what colour is the pvc covering the copper? how long did they own the property before you? if it was before the new colours came out then they really can't denie having the work done can they!

It's certainly new wiring but was sold by a property company through auction. In fairness, with all the hassle I'd have of pursuing this legally, I just want to get the project moving again.

If I just cover it up, presumably ther's little risk my buyer would realise it was new work. I mean, properties are full of pre reg wiring that's well hidden in walls????

Sponsored Links
If you completely forget that you ever discovered it, I find it hard to see how you could be held liable. You didn't carry out the work while the house was in your posession, and therefore have no impetus to state that any electrical work has been carried out when you come to sell the house. By the time you come to sell it, the house will have changed hands enough times that nobody is likely to question it anyway!

New harmonised coloured cables were available prior to the tightening up of certification of new circuits, and proof that this cable was done post this (January 2005?) would be nigh on impossible to prove.

For your own peace of mind, it may be worth getting an electrician in to check the wiring of the house anyway, with a possible eye on upgrading your consumer unit to 17th edition.

Even if you were able to prove the wiring was done post 2004 it does not mean it is illegal as you are permitted to change like for like which really makes the Part P useless to catch out an owner occupier except maybe for a consumer unit change.

Although in theory it covers tradesmen, landlords and owner occupiers alike in real terms it would be very hard to catch an owner occupier.

As to having a PIR done these do not come under Part P so although it may highlight any problems it can never replace a completion cert.

In my own house we have re-decorated and I have needed to patch up some plastered areas and I would suspect anyone stripping the paper could assume recent but although plaster was recent the wiring is not.

I would say your wasting your time to pursue this.

Are you even allowed to replace like for like wiring in the bathroom and kitchen?

if you're worried about possible problems for selling on, I would suggest getting a PIR done, my thinking is that providing it is done properly, it's as good a way as you're ever gonna get of proving that the electrics are sound, and if a buyers surveyor or solicitor asks, you have the paperwork to keep em happy

anybody with half a brain would ask for a recent PIR ( as in the last 6 months ), or get one done themselves if they're serious about a house, if for no other reason than to try and wrangle the price down a bit for the cost of the remedial work if any needs doing..

but as we often find, Joe Public has little knowledge of PIRs, it's down to your solicitor & surveyor to bring this to the attention of the poor s#d who pays them a lot of money to do these things.
Then it's down to finding a good sparky capable and willing to do it properly, and then help the buyer to understand it!!

well no they might not know the specifics, but if you're buying a house, you get the thing looked at to see if any work needs doing..

structural survey, gas and plumbing checked, electrics checked etc..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back