Selling house - Rear window made smaller

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are currently in the process of selling our first house that we have lived in for over 10 years. We are completing the various forms but am concerned by some work we had done as part of a kitchen renovation 8 years ago.

As part of the renovation we had a large window removed and replaced with a smaller one (approx. 1.5ft narrower x 2ft shorter) in order to allow cabinets to be placed along one side of the kitchen. This new window is identical to the other in the kitchen and was installed by a FENSA certified installer, I also have the certificate for proof. No structural works were completed (the lintel was already in place and wider than the new window) and all the bricks for the infill were matched. Clearly I am not going to withhold this from the buyer and I'm pretty sure that this work is allowed under permitted development but should we have anything for building regs? The room itself has not changed in size inside nor in it's use. The house is also not listed or in an area subject to any special conservation etc...

Not sure if I am worrying for no reason but I can't find anything that tells me exactly! Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Personally I would not worry
Just tell the truth in the documents give the fenza ref

We sold our house with various issues but told the truth and down to buyer solicitor to sort out
We had fenza installed but they never sent the cert
And then went bust

We also sold our uncles house who had no will and new very little
So again just told the truth

Just declare the window replacement. Provide the certificate and wait for the solicitor to ask any questions.

Thanks for your replies - I guess it also depends on your interpretation of the questions on the form.

First question is 'Have any of the following changes been made to the whole or any part of the property? Building works (e.g. extension, loft or garage conversion, removal of internal walls)' - depends if you see it as building work, especially as the examples given are much larger in nature? Followed by the subsequent question 'Please supply copies of the planning permissions, Building Regulations approval and Completion Certificates OR if none were required, please explain why these were not required - e.g. permitted development rights applied or the work was exempt from Building Regulations'

Sponsored Links
And your answer is

“Replacement window as part of kitchen renovation, copy of certificate provided.”

Keep hold of the original and tell them they will be provided on completion. I went through exactly the same when I sold my house in 2018 having fitted a window in an en suite. Provided its a fensa install its not a problem.

FENSA is a self certification scheme under the Building Regulations

Thanks for your advice and I'll go with the response of 'Replacement window as part of kitchen renovation,' and provide a copy of the certificate.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back