Selling house - required to replace old iron cut-out?

Sponsored Links
I thought work in a kitchen was notifyable regardless of what took place?
Not any more.
I've highlighted the key words to make it clearer. :rolleyes:
Fair enough, but when was this "was" you had in mind? Given ...
... A couple of years ago I had an electrician (properly registered) come to...
.... there seems to be pretty good chance that the work in question took place after 1st April 2013, hence after a time when you "was" would have been correct.

Kind Regards, John

I had the kitchen lights swapped from strip lighting to recessed ceiling lights (240V but with LED bulbs, no change to circuit) in 2006. I had the old cable running along the garden fence replaced by a new and more outdoor-proof cable at the end of 2013. Both were done by the same, fully registered, qualified etc etc electrician, but because he didn't issue me with a certificate at the time as he thought the work was pretty minor so didn't need certifying, and I naively declared on the house selling form that I had had some electrics done, the buyer's solicitors are pestering me for a certificate. Which, since it's now some years later and rules have changed yet again my electrician is reluctant to provide at the moment (his argument is that there wasn't an RCD in the consumer unit for the kitchen, though there is one to the shed. If the mains cut out is replaced then an RCD and proper earth would be fitted at the same time which would bring everything up to today's standard and then he would sign it all off as meeting today's requirements).

Frankly given how persistent our buyer's solicitors have been, I expect they will be asking me for proof that I got the building regs people out to inspect the Hoover the last time I had to replace its fuse, or to inspect the living room lights to check I'd replaced the bulbs correctly.

Sponsored Links
If the mains cut out is replaced then an RCD and proper earth would be fitted at the same time which would bring everything up to today's standard and then he would sign it all off as meeting today's requirements).

A bit confused by that!
The DNO will change their cut-out when convenient to them as there is nothing anywhere that says they must be changed.

They may increase the size of the earthwire from their cable to the earthing terminal, but that is all. Any other earths are the customer's responsibility.

They will not be fitting an RCD under any conditions, that is the customer's and their electrician's responsibility.

The existing of the existing cut-out does not stop earthing that the customer is responsible for being upgraded, or fitting an RCD

Yup. In essence, any equipment up to and including the meter is not the householder's responsibility.

But anything thereafter is.

I have known DNO's take responsibility for isolation switches after the meter but for clarification, westie is the best person to ask.

I have known DNO's take responsibility for isolation switches after the meter but for clarification, westie is the best person to ask.

It is actually within our Jointing Code of Practice to fit isolators for all supplies that we work on.
i.e. New, moved or cut-out changes

It may not apply to all DNOs

I had the kitchen lights swapped from strip lighting to recessed ceiling lights (240V but with LED bulbs, no change to circuit) in 2006.
I would say that was probably not notifiable work. Although additions/modification to circuits in a kitchen was notifiable in 2006, the rules then if force said that:
1. Work consisting of -
(a) replacing any fixed electrical equipment which does not include the provision of— (i) any new fixed cabling; or(ii) a consumer unit;
... was not notifiable.
... I had the old cable running along the garden fence replaced by a new and more outdoor-proof cable at the end of 2013.
Provided it was an existing circuit, that would definitely not have been notifiable work in late 2013.
Both were done by the same, fully registered, qualified etc etc electrician, but because he didn't issue me with a certificate at the time as he thought the work was pretty minor so didn't need certifying ...
Even though it's probable that none of the work was notifiable, he should have issued certificates for both those jobs, even if only Minor Works Certificates.
(his argument is that there wasn't an RCD in the consumer unit for the kitchen, though there is one to the shed. If the mains cut out is replaced then an RCD and proper earth would be fitted at the same time which would bring everything up to today's standard and then he would sign it all off as meeting today's requirements).
There is no requirement to bring everything up to today's standard, but, as above, he should have issued certificates for the work that he did do.
Frankly given how persistent our buyer's solicitors have been, I expect they will be asking me for proof that I got the building regs people out to inspect the Hoover the last time I had to replace its fuse, or to inspect the living room lights to check I'd replaced the bulbs correctly.
As I implied before, if I were you I would be asking my solicitor to tell the buyer's solicitor that if they don't desist from all this silly fuss that you will withdraw from the sale!

Kind Regards, John

Tell your buyers that they either buy the house as it is, i.e. as it was when they viewed it, for the price they offered, or they can FOAD.

It's amazing how people who are making a fuss about things like this because what they really want is to get the price down, and hinting/implying that the deal will collapse unless you do X, Y & Z suddenly find that they no longer care about X, Y & Z when you make it crystal clear to them that there will never be X, Y & Z and that hell will freeze over before you consider any financial settlement because of no X, Y or Z.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back