Sensor / security light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our outide light has worked well for about a year, since I first put it up, but.....it didn't stay on for long enough, and because it was a minor problem we just lived with it!

Last week I finally decided to change the settings on the sensor, ......and now it doesn't work at all! :p. it worked great for the first day, but then stopped working completely!

I changed the fuse, as it's fed from a disused 'fan' switch in the kitchen which has a fuse in it. It worked for a few seconds then stopped again!

I bought 13amp fuses because I thought maybe being a halogen light 5amps might not be high enough. .....but still nothing!

I just went up on the ladder and decided to remove the sensor from it as we don't really need one and can easily just switch it on and off when we need to use it. I've now removed the sensor successfully but it's not even working as a normal light!?!?

Any ideas anyone? .....All would be gratefully received! :). .....go and buy a new one?? :LOL:

Also, does anyone know what the two white wires are? .....I think these are my problem?!

It's definitely not the bulb by the way! :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Jam4brains indeed.

Cannot say why it does not work now. Have you got a multimeter?

You need to get up your ladder and check voltages into the lamp.

As for chnaging the fuse to 13amp
NO!
That fuse is there to protect the wiring. A 5 amp fuse is good for nearly 1200watts of lighting. Put the 5 amp one back.

In fact, put EVERYTHING back as it was and start again. Find the installation instructions and follow these. They will tell you how to get it going,.

and

Also, does anyone know what the two white wires are?
What wires are they, where are they/ in the kitchen, in the switch, hanging out of the wall? how do we know.
You COULD take a picture of what you are talking about.

With kind, but confused. regards
TTC

If you mean the white wires inside the terminal box of the security light, they are the L & N to the lamp.

Sponsored Links
If you mean the white wires inside the terminal box of the security light, they are the L & N to the lamp.

Many thanks for that! :D ....presumably then, if I connect up the L to the L and the N to the N in the box the light should function as a normal light?! ...which I have done and it still isn't responding! :rolleyes:

I was just about to go down the road to buy a new one when your reply came through! :LOL: ....I still think this might be my best option?! :confused:

Have you checked for power @ the light fitting?

Have you checked to see if the lamp contacts inside the light fitting are bright?

Jam4brains indeed.

Cannot say why it does not work now. Have you got a multimeter?

You need to get up your ladder and check voltages into the lamp.

As for chnaging the fuse to 13amp
NO!
That fuse is there to protect the wiring. A 5 amp fuse is good for nearly 1200watts of lighting. Put the 5 amp one back.

In fact, put EVERYTHING back as it was and start again. Find the installation instructions and follow these. They will tell you how to get it going,.

and

Also, does anyone know what the two white wires are?
What wires are they, where are they/ in the kitchen, in the switch, hanging out of the wall? how do we know.
You COULD take a picture of what you are talking about.

With kind, but confused. regards
TTC

My ex hubby said that when halogen lights come on they draw a lot of power, and it was possible that a 5amp wasn't sufficient! It blew the first 5amp fuse so thats why he suggested that it might need a 13amp! :confused:
....that's why I did it!

I will replace it with a 5amp again then :)

Unfortunately I don't have a multimeter :rolleyes: ...but I am usually pretty good at fixing things....for a girl! :D

A fuse is a safety device.

If a safety device operates, replacing it with a less sensitive safety device is just stupid.

If the fire alarm sounds then replace it with one that doesn't make any noise.

Have you checked for power @ the light fitting?

Have you checked to see if the lamp contacts inside the light fitting are bright?

Sadly i don't have any way of testing whether there is power to the light, but there definitely was earlier as when I put the ladder up to it I knocked it slightly and it came on for a second! .....before I turned the power off to work on it! :D The contacts all look fine though!

I could take the whole unit down and wire it up to a bit of twin and earth With a plug on to double check though! ....might be my best option actually because buying another light isn't going to be of any use if the power isn't getting through! ....if this the case I will have to admit defeat and get an electrician in! :confused:

Anyway, I can't go out to buy one now coz its rush hour traffic, so I'm going to cook dinner and will try testing the fitting first! ......many thanks for your help, you're a star! :)

Them fittings rarely blow fuses unless water has got in to it, is there any signs of water damage and does the supply cable from the building to the light look ok and not corroded or rotten, it does sound like you disturbed something when you tried to adjust it.

Yes it does.

If J4b has changed the lamp recently, it could be not quite on the contacts.

May have to wait till proper daylight tomorrow, but you could check that the lamp contacts are both properly seated in the dimples on the end of the lamp.

Them fittings rarely blow fuses unless water has got in to it, is there any signs of water damage and does the supply cable from the building to the light look ok and not corroded or rotten, it does sound like you disturbed something when you tried to adjust it.

To be honest I think that was the start of the problems with it! I adjusted it, it was working perfectly afterwards, but then we had some seriously heavy downpours and it's not been right since! I think the fuse blew because it got water in it too! .......when I said this to my ex (who put it up about a year ago when we moved in) he said "don't be ridiculous, it's a sealed unit meant for external use"! ...so I thought maybe I was wrong about it!?

The cable into the house looks fine and was new last year, so I don't think that's the problem!

Either way, I've cooked now, so I'm going to goi and get it in and play with it in the kitchen tonight. If I can get it going with a normal cable and plug I will know that it's the cable coming into the house that's the problem! If I can't get it working then it's going out in the rubbish in the morning!! :D

...thanks by the way :)

AND THERE WAS LIGHT!!!!! :LOL:

I've got no idea what the problem was, but it isn't a problem anymore! :rolleyes:

I bought it in wired it into a plug.....nothing! :(

Took it to bits, couldn't see a problem, put it back together again, plugged it in and it worked!

Took it outside, wired it up, nothing!

Bought it back in, attached it to the plug again, nothing!

Took it to bits again, looked for the problem but couldnt find one, put it back together AGAIN, plugged it in and it worked!

Took it back outside, wired it up switched it on and hey presto IT'S WORKING!!! .....I can see my rabbits!!! :D

Thanks everyone :)..... If it goes again I'm buying a new one!!! :D

Did you check the way the lamp is fitted?

Maybe there's a loose connection.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back