Sentencing (criminal justice system)

Sponsored Links
there is simply no quick solution to crime

tougher sentencing either for purposes of reducing crime or retribution is simplistic but not the answer.

It doesnt matter how man times people bang the same drum, longer sentences don't mean less crime.

Sponsored Links
USA locks up more of its population than any other country.

Has this reduced crime?

No.

Has it improved profits in the privatised prisons business?

Yes.

there is simply no quick solution to crime

tougher sentencing either for purposes of reducing crime or retribution is simplistic but not the answer.

It doesnt matter how man times people bang the same drum, longer sentences don't mean less crime.
But surely that doesn't mean longer sentences shouldn't be given? Otherwise where is the justice for victims?

We are aware your 18 year old daughter was murdered in a completely unprovoked attack. However, whilst we 'could' lock her assailant up for the rest of their natural life, the data shows this approach does not reduce crime. Rehabilitation of the individual is paramount, as is reintegration into society. We will therefore lock the assailant up for a minimum term of 25 years with the opportunity for parole thereafter.

Victim. 18 years old, potentially denied 70 years of life. Murderer. 20 years old, potentially free at 45 to live another 30-40 years.

Sure they do. You are conflating "less crime" with "no crime".
Otherwise, why not argue for no sentence at all?
No they don't

USA number of people in jail has increased 7 fold bet 1970 and 1990
Crime did not go down.

Otherwise, why not argue for no sentence at all
I think you are intelligent enough to know that's just a dumb point scoring argument.

Where did I say it was a linear effect?

I said harsher sentences arent a solution to reducing crime.....which is proven by evidence.

Is Sussex in the US of A?
The UK hasn't experienced a policy harsher punishments used as an attempt to reduce crime.

So it wouldn't be useful.

Have you a hangover, you seem rather impaired on the cerebral front today.

Sponsored Links
Back