Sentencing (criminal justice system)

All those in favour of letting every Tom. Dick and arry into the UK

Should be made to. Sponsor individuals

No financial sponsor ship

But they would be made to take respondabklity for em should they commit a crime

Bung em into the adjoining cell or the same cell ;)

If victim compensation is required than they should cough up as well.

Seize all there assets if required

Confiscate there houses if neccessary

Sponsored Links
Privatise the judiciary and allow judges and coppers to buy shares in private prisons.
The crime detection rate would then go through the roof, throwing litter would get you 6 months hard labour in some private nick.

Privatise the judiciary and allow judges and coppers to buy shares in private prisons.
The crime detection rate would then go through the roof, throwing litter would get you 6 months hard labour in some private nick.

Hmmm may be going a tadge ott :idea::)

Sponsored Links
Such a silly statement. So the foreign Government which we will need to have an agreement will, should take back its ciminals?

So for example if the sentence is 10 years but in the country they are going to it's 5 years - who will pay for the difference in costs? What happens when the sentence in the UK is less than that in the other country? Do they serve the UK sentence or the applicable sentence in the person home country.

Do they still get probation on the same terms?

Yet you knew what you are voting for...

11% of our Prison Population is foreign.

Yet Spending on Prisons is 14% lower than in 2009/10 in real terms.
I think the government already has reciprocal agreements with some countries to take back their nationals to serve their time in their home countries.
Anyway the government should deny the right to enter the UK to all nationals of any other country that doesn't agree to take back their criminals to serve their sentence in their own country.

aGitator knows his name then.
Maybe it’ll admit what country it’s from one day.

CRIME is the single largest, and longest-standing, problem in Britain. Crime, not coronavirus, is the pandemic that we should be tackling, and the only certain way to prevent crime is by the effective and consistent use of punishment. Crime currently rules our lives, from the drugs turning young people into zombies to the antisocial behaviour that has turned many of our towns and cities into no-go areas after dark (and in some places during daylight). We should not live in fear of crime as we currently do. It should be those with criminal intentions who should live in fear. Criminals need to be taught who is boss.

Last edited by a moderator:
CRIME is the single largest, and longest-standing, problem in Britain. Crime, not coronavirus, is the pandemic that we should be tackling, and the only certain way to prevent crime is by the effective and consistent use of punishment. Crime currently rules our lives, from the drugs turning young people into zombies to the antisocial behaviour that has turned many of our towns and cities into no-go areas after dark (and in some places during daylight). We should not live in fear of crime as we currently do. It should be those with criminal intentions who should live in fear. Criminals need to be taught who is boss.
Was there an era when crime was under control in the UK?

Interesting range of replies, which I sort of expected ;)

My view, as touched on in my opening post, is that some sentences definitely do not fit the crime. I'm aware a legal expert would be able to tell me why such sentences are passed (legislative sentencing limits, mitigating circumstances, encouraging rehabilitation etc.) However like I said, whilst I don't subscribe to locking everyone up for decades or that prisons should be places where you break rocks 23 hours a day, I firmly believe many sentences should be longer and that some people should be locked up for the rest of their natural life with no chance of parole. Instead they're often out within 15 years give or take.

I'm again going to refer to the recent case of the 39 migrants. For those convicted, why should any of them have the opportunity to come out of prison in 20, 25, 30 years to live the remainder of their life? Regardless of your view as to the people in the back of that lorry and the nature of their entry into our country, to me those involved in causing their death should never see the proverbial light of day again. I'll await the sentencing with interest.

And we also need to seriously look at those still roaming free with multiple previous convictions e.g. for so called lower level crime such as breaking and entering. To me, the one place you should feel safe is your home. If someone elects to break in to that personal space (especially when people are in) it should be treated as a serious crime with much harsher sentences passed. You read of some people wearing their previous convictions like a badge of honour 'yeah I've got 18 previous convictions for a, b, c, d ...'

I'm not saying we don't have a great legal system compared to many countries, however parts of it are surely broken?

I'm again going to refer to the recent case of the 39 migrants. For those convicted, why should any of them have the opportunity to come out of prison in 20, 25, 30 years to live the remainder of their life? Regardless of your view as to the people in the back of that lorry and the nature of their entry into our country, to me those involved in causing their death should never see the proverbial light of day again. I'll await the sentencing with interest.

I have not been following the case, but surely they didn't set out with the intention of killing the 39?

And we also need to seriously look at those still roaming free with multiple previous convictions e.g. for so called lower level crime such as breaking and entering. To me, the one place you should feel safe is your home. If someone elects to break in to that personal space (especially when people are in) it should be treated as a serious crime with much harsher sentences passed. You read of some people wearing their previous convictions like a badge of honour 'yeah I've got 18 previous convictions for a, b, c, d ...'

I live in a very safe low crime area, but in other areas do see houses with steel gates at windows and doors - I can imagine what it must be like for those people having to live like that, so sympathise.

Yet a few on here were prepared to give them the benefit of doubt. https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/immigrant-truck-deaths-could-driver-be-innocent.531916/

Strangely enough, mostly remainers advocating for the driver. I
t will be interesting to get their views on the sentences when they are announced, especially Ellals.

I have not been following the case, but surely they didn't set out with the intention of killing the 39?
True, which is why they were charged and convicted of manslaughter and not murder but the other side of the coin is that they didn’t set out to look after their welfare either whilst in their 'care'.

You do write some unrelated bolox under the pretext of them being connected..Makes you look particularly numb.
The Tory government has cut prison budgets massively.
Many prisons are privatised.

Prisons are full.

Why do you not understand that is connected to sentencing, re offending rates, crime levels.

Sponsored Links
Back