Sentinel X400 draining - Would this work?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I put x400 in my system last night and plan to drain it off at the weekend before putting X100 and x200 in.

My system is a Y-plan, vented header, 3-way valve, 3-drain point system that is a pig to re-fill as it always gets air-locks that take forever to remove. So I got thinking...

What if I drain and refill at the same time continuously over an extended period, my thought being that the system would become more and more dilute the longer I do it. This way it won't get any air introduced so I shouldn't get any air locks.

Would that work? and would it be as effective at removing sludge as a full drain?

Sponsored Links
1) If you have a sludge problem, you should leave the X400 circulating for 4 weeks, not 4 days

2) You should drain out completely, rinse and flush, and drain again (see the instructions) You need the dirty water to gush out so it carries as much as possible of the loosened sediment with it.

If the X400 has started to work, the water will have gone inky black with loosened sediment.

Bale and sponge out any mud from the Feed & Expansion first.

If you can afford another £100, fit a Magnaclean. I promise you will be amazed and delighted at how much circulating black sludge it traps, even after you thought you had got the system clean, and it will continue trapping it permanently and prevent future black blockages because it will not be able to accumulate in pipes or radiators.

Use an inhibitor such as X100 when you refill.

if this was my property i would add an extra x400 in first week of january.
then drain it all out at end of january.
add inhibitors etc then.
no need to upset a working system in these cold days.
good luck.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back