Separating 3 gang light switch (to one + two gang)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

We had a rewire a year ago (long term renovation project) and now want to address a three gang light switch in our hallway which controls landing lights, porch lights and lounge lights. I can now relocate the lounge switch inside of the lounge, which would leave a two gang in the hall.

There are three cables going into the switch, but sure it’s not as easy as whipping one out and putting into a new switch, as all downstairs lighting is on one circuit and named as such on the circuit board. Our ceilings are currently down so have easy access to cables. What would I look for to figure out how our lights have been hooked up so I can hatch a plan?

Comfortable moving things around safely but want to ensure I don’t stop the kitchen and porch lights from switching on and have to put everything back

Thanks in advance - can share photos if you let me know what you need to see.

L

Sponsored Links
The fact you say it is all on one circuit is encouraging, so could be very easy.

Photos please.

Today there are many methods as well as moving the cable. Since the ceiling is down that is likely the easy method, but depends how wired, we tend to histrionically to use the ceiling rose as a junction box, however with newer wiring we also find the switch back box used as a junction box.

Photos are good.

Thanks both, took the plate off but certainly more than the three cables I can see chased in from the top making it inside, I think 5 in total link up to the terminals. The dimmer is the lounge light I want to move, fyi.

L

Attachments

• F0350F3E-00B6-45D3-AE85-5D79FED22D28.jpeg
    F0350F3E-00B6-45D3-AE85-5D79FED22D28.jpeg
    211.5 KB · Views: 29
  • 51927B10-5662-4550-B35C-46A52282D932.jpeg
    51927B10-5662-4550-B35C-46A52282D932.jpeg
    276.5 KB · Views: 26
  • 45F528BD-AF88-4516-8D34-5874BAF53387.jpeg
    45F528BD-AF88-4516-8D34-5874BAF53387.jpeg
    371.1 KB · Views: 29
Sponsored Links
Depending on the locations of the parts :

Quite simply, you have to take the wires that are connected to the dimmer and extend them to the new position.

The two brown wires together must be kept together (or rearranged satisfactorily) and although the single brown and its accompanying blue wire could be pulled up to the ceiling you would then need to find another supply neutral for the blue..

landing lights, porch lights and lounge lights
So, just to clarify, these are all on one circuit? I would initially have expected the "landing lights" to be on another circuit, upstairs for instance. Unless it`s actually a hallway of course.

At least, around here, we usually refer to a hallway as a downstairs passageway and a landing as an upstairs passageway, other regions may differ though.

Is the ceiling down in the lounge too, what are the relative position of the accessories

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back