Seperate earth cable?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If I were to pull in a run of 15M of 4 core (3ph + N) SWA would I need to run a seperate earth or would the armourings suffice?
Cheers, Tim.

Sponsored Links
Should you be working on a commercial circuit without the requisite knowledge?

Sponsored Links
4 core XLPE meets the requirements of 54G for sizes upto 70mm² according to the chart I have, just keep your eye on ELFI though

Thanks Adam and Ricicle, your advice is much appreciated. Guess sometimes it's worth questioning what you're told to do!

Nowt wrong with an extra cpc though, though not strictly required unless its a marina (i'm lead to beleive)

I probably wouldn't do it with SWA, but I'd always choose to install a cpc in steel conduit, not keen on trusting it through loads of separate joins, etc (and it may be alright now, but who knows what happens in the future?)

OT: People tell me conduit used to have to be tested with a high current tester, but there seems to be no reference to it anywhere these days? :confused:

I seem to remember hearing about high current testing for conduit / trunking, but I think it is fairly unusual to find a circuit not wired with its own CPC these days

I seem to remember hearing about high current testing for conduit / trunking, but I think it is fairly unusual to find a circuit not wired with its own CPC these days

Yep, if you suspect any conduit/trunking joint then a high current test can be performed.....BUT you can't do it with the cables in as if there is any resistance then the I²R heating could cook the cables :eek:

You're better off running in seperate CPCs every time

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back