Country
United Kingdom
just learning

is a lighting circuit in paralell ?

is a radial socket circuit series?

i would be greatful if any more examples thanks

Sponsored Links
Why would we wire sockets in series?

If we had 10 sockets, each socket would have 23 volts across it!

FAIL.

NOTHING in houses is wired in series except seasonal lights.

The only lights in a house you would ever find wired in series would be Christmas tree lights. 20 lamps at 12 Volt each for example.

All other wiring, be it sockets or lighting circuits are wired in parallel.

Sponsored Links
series is where the live loops *through* each item until the last one, where it becomes neutral and connects to neutral.

parallel is where the live AND neutral loops *TO* each fitting until the last one, where they stop.

whats the diferance :rolleyes:

Parallel: Everything in the circuit would have the same voltage as the supply.

Series: the circuit as a whole would have the same voltage as the supply, but each fixture/fitting would only see a proportion of the supply voltage.

EDIT: Why is it I start to reply, get distracted, make sure it's spell checqued :LOL: then find someone beats me to the answer again?

You won't find a series circuit in a house (unless it's xmas)

Oh I wouldn't entirely rule that out.

I have seen some wonderful series work on downlighters. Where the homeowner has wondered why his lights are a bit dim :confused: - and even when he increases the light bulbs wattage it doen't seen ti make any difference. :confused:

Bring out the JB's.

Oh and Benefica lost by the way :eek:

I've got 2 fearsomely bright projector lamps in my loft wired in series so that they don't set fire to the rafters or blind me, but do last a long time.

Probably, but I didn't pay for them.

And before any of the dribblers take that the wrong way, I got them quite legitimately from the place I worked at when they junked all their 35mm and OH projectors because we'd moved onto using PCs for presentations.

I've got 2 fearsomely bright projector lamps in my loft wired in series so that they don't set fire to the rafters or blind me, but do last a long time.

Is that compliant with BS7671 (and are the bulbs installed as per manufacturer's instructions?) and were there any part P implications?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back