Serious Question Wood Allergies

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am currently working with a product I have never worked with before, it is Fire Protected Siberian Larch.

I am cutting this product outside without a mask.

After the first three days I developed a wheezy chest but put this down to working at -2 for three days. I then went and worked in doors for two days, then it was the weekend, still felt a bit stuffy, I've just done another three days on the larch, left today at 1.00pm within in an hour started coughing heavily, chest went wheezy then gargly nose running like a train then my breathing went pear shaped am currently in hospital having tests.

So this is a serious question, has anyone come across someone or themselves that has an allergic reaction to Larch or Wood and how would I get myself tested.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
am currently in hospital having tests

I read your post and only spotted this after rereading, so hadn’t appreciated how serious it is.

So this is a serious question, has anyone come across someone or themselves that has an allergic reaction to Larch or Wood and how would I get myself tested

I’ve used loads of Siberian larch: I used to run a factory making joinery from it.

Ive never had any allergy problems myself or staff.

The only thing I would say is that it’s very hard and it’s splinters are evil.

some timbers are known to be a serious irritant, but larch only gets 1 star for potency in this database: for hives and skin irritation

whatis in the fire treatment?

I had a quick Google about fire retardant for cladding and found HR Prof is currently used.

Here is the MSDS https://www.fireretardantuk.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/MSDS-HR-PROF-EN-07.01.19-1.pdf

Recommended to show this to medical professionals if you get a reaction. Also suggests a p3 filter and respirator while cutting it. However it's non hazardous.

Other possible is Non-Com Exterior made by lonza wood. Cannot find a msds.

It could be something else, though. I have ended up with allergic rhinitis , possibly being caused by years of cutting softwood and MDF (I think), so now i routinely wear an FFP3 mask when cutting or sanding anything on site even if using a vacuum (I have been face fitted for my current mask). When I had a workshop I never suffered from this, possibly because all dust was extracted at point of production, possibly because I was younger and the allergy hadn't escalated. Site work, as you know, is a bit different and many portable tools have poor dust extraction and spread dust everywhere even when extracted (mitre saws are particularly bad)

When doing intensive cutting I can get a runny nose and sore throat during the day, as well are redenning and sensitivity around the nostrils (fire proofing treated materials seem particularly bad) and at night I sometimes have breathing problems caused by my nostrils constricting, which leads to breathing difficulties (not pleasant and sometines quite frightening as I then need to breathe through my mouth). A day or so after cutting I can also get a sore throat, chesty cough and what could best be described as heaviness on the chest - if I am away from cutting for a few days these symptoms all subside. I have come across a few guys, always 50s or older, who have experienced these sorts of symptoms, but never as severe as the OP

My GP tried various things (BTW tests prooved negative) and eventually settled on a nasal spray, Flixonase (fluticasone propionate) for when I am experiencing more major issues. I have also found that using a wedged pillow and sleeping in a cold bedroom helps. He told me he had seen this sort of thing a few times amongst woodworkers (we have a couple of big kitchen/bedroom manufacturers in the area, so there are people working MDF, MFC and chipboard). He also told me I need to wear a mask at all times when cutting...

Sponsored Links
The upshot of this is I have inflated lungs possibly caused by an allergic reaction to God only knows what, further tests required! In the short term I have inhalers, in the immediate term and further on I stopping work until I have recovered properly or as well as I can.

Regards the Fire Protection, no I didn't read the COSHH sheet but I have now requested it from the manufacturer.

Yes the simplest test would to wear an FFP3 Dust Mask, it's a complete unknown though whether it's the cause or not, but I can comfortably say I won't be cutting it or handling it without the appropriate mask and gloves.

Less to say this applies to all cutting here on out, not being able to breath is scary sh1t.

Thank you all for your help/comments.

Merry Christmas.

I've developed a reaction to wood dust and now have to stay out of workshops or rooms used for sawing

I was the "fool" wearing a mask, gloves, steel toe cap shoes and knee pads back in the days.
Now the "fool" is still standing medication free and breathing normally (despite the tobacco) while all the smartest laughing at me are crippled and can't breathe.
MDF is evil.

I was the "fool" wearing a mask, gloves, steel toe cap shoes and knee pads back in the days.
Now the "fool" is still standing medication free and breathing normally (despite the tobacco) while all the smartest laughing at me are crippled and can't breathe.
MDF is evil.

I used to spray 2K (isocyanate) paints with a roll up in my mouth...

The danger comes when you light it though. :ROFLMAO:

Indeed... in all seriousness though, bar the many years of smoking, I suspect that it is the product that contributed most to the current state of my lungs. And I have only used it on about 30 occasions.

Mea culpa, and all that (not sure what the latin for "all that" is).

Indeed... in all seriousness though, bar the many years of smoking, I suspect that it is the product that contributed most to the current state of my lungs. And I have only used it on about 30 occasions.

Mea culpa, and all that (not sure what the latin for "all that" is).
omnia quae. (Assuming Google is correct. :LOL: )

I've known a number of spray painters, (cars, factory equipment etc), who used to only use those old style Martindale dust masks, believing they were good enough. A number of them are no longer with us and the others are old before their time. :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back