Seriously considering Biomass. Victorian Renovation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All!
I'm renovating a very large victorian home, 3 stories and 7 bedrooms.
We are considering the Biomass option, I received my first quote today for the following:

£15,855 (fully fitted)
Nibe Pellux Boiler 30 Kw

325 kg pellet store
twin wall flue
400 liter hot water cylinder
MCS Accreditation and RHI assistance.

On eBay I can get a RHI approved biomass boiler
NBE RTB 30 Kw (£2760)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NBE-RTB-30kW-wood-pellet-biomass-boiler-includes-pellet-hopper-/252474589362?
Optional pellet store (£ unsure)
Also additional hot water buffer tank 1000 Litres (£600)

I don't understand how a system can be so cheap and they charge so much.

Questions:eek:_O
1. Do you "HAVE" to have it installed by an MCS member, or can you DIY then pay to get signed off to qualify for the RHI?
2. I have an RHI estimated Quarterly payout, how do they measure this once you have the system? Do they track your fuel usage?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Firstly Im no expert on boilers but ive been on this site a while and to get valid responses to this question I suggest you post the quote breakdown.

To give you any feedback on the quote - we need to understand "exactly" what you've been quoted for.

You will only get asked questions such as "Is this just for the boiler only and fitting", "is it for the radiators and plumbing", "how many days etc", "do you live on an island in the middle of a lake with no access other than by rowing boat" .. you get the point.

Imagine if i asked "Ive been quoted 10k for a 20'x20' extension is this good value?" What would your questions be?

Firstly Im no expert on boilers but ive been on this site a while and to get valid responses to this question I suggest you post the quote breakdown.

To give you any feedback on the quote - we need to understand "exactly" what you've been quoted for.

You will only get asked questions such as "Is this just for the boiler only and fitting", "is it for the radiators and plumbing", "how many days etc", "do you live on an island in the middle of a lake with no access other than by rowing boat" .. you get the point.

Imagine if i asked "Ive been quoted 10k for a 20'x20' extension is this good value?" What would your questions be?

My apologies, Just the biomass part, radiators and pipes are a DIY job, they'll charge an additional £8,000 for this.

delete.png

Sorry? 8 grand for radiators piping up? Even with 7 bedrooms £800 is too much. Christ. Consider the labour costs. Say it takes 2 men 3 days to do the radiators that's about £1100 per person per day. £110 would be more like it but one person would usually be an apprentice on a pittance rate.

Anyway search on YouTube for the restoration couple. They put a series of videos on about their biomass boiler install and how much they paid is mentioned once.

Sponsored Links
Have you got more than one quote? You really should get a minimum of 3 ?

Was the quote your showing the best quote of all?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back