Service fuse

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
First of all, I'll point out that this post is out of curiosity, its *not* revelant to anything I might do/ have done /plan to advise others to do, etc

Basically the school I am studying for my A-levels at opened in 1992, it was built on the site of an old school and the whole thing was renovated, and I think the electrics were re-done at this time, all except (apprently) the main supply into the building which was not upgraded, and is said to date from the 1960's

Recently there have been loads of computers replaced with pentium 4 machines, and quite a few air conditioners installed...you can see where this is going can't you?

Before christmas, we had a school production on, and had a few stage lights etc on at the time (not masses) when the power went off, it was traced back to one of the supply fuses, the REC was called, and after the REC person had replaced the fuse (with aid of a chisel!) the supply was restored, and we switched off the computers and the production went ahead (power went off two hours to opening!)

Fast forward to last week, there was a nasty smell in the corridor, and 45 minutes later the computer network went down, it was only after seeing the vans of both the electricians and the REC parked outside that it was obvious as to what had happened again, only this time, the power didn't come back on quickly, it was the next day before it come back, and involved the REC switching off the other two phases, and digging a big hole in the ground near where the power comes in (presumbily to splice a new piece of cable in?), apparently a lot of heat was generated.

The school is applying for funding to upgrade the supply (Apparently its only 3 x 100A at the moment), and in the short term the electricians are trying to re-balence the phases.

My question is as follows (sorry for taking a long time to get to it): Is it normal if a service fuse has a certain amount of overload on it for it to take a long time to go open circuit, and smoulder a lot in the short term, it just seems to defeat the purpose of a fuse

Sponsored Links
you say a chisel was needed to change the fuse?!

my guess (and this is only a guess) is that there was a bad contact after changing the fuse (either where the old rusty fuse carrier was removed and reinserted or elsewhere caused by vibration from the use of the chisel to open it).

such a bad contact would have got very hot and probablly did irreprable damage to the end of the service cable and/or the cutout itself.

So no, a fuse should not run hot enough to dmage anything else.

All that computer equipment also contributed.

Schools do not monitor their power factors as closely as commercial industry does. Computers are high inductances. Commercial industries correct their power factor with banks of capacitors. I haven't seen a capacitor bank in a school yet.

Computers also cause harmonic currents. This can have a detrimental effect on the Neutral.

Sponsored Links
switched mode power supplies are about the dirtiest thing to connect as far as the REC's are concerned.

Commercial industries do care about the power factor / balancing of phases.

We have two 11kv supplies.. cant see how a school manages with 300A Especially with Aircon units & plenty of computers.

That was naughty! a new building, but not upgrading the supply accordingly - how on earth they did let that happen?

local ex grammer school dates to 1930s.

they have just changed the supply, weather its the original 1930s cable or not is not so certain :LOL: but knowing the area and the local rec it probrably is.

theres alot of faliure arround winter and april, the constant dampness, cold freexing ect ballses up the supply cables and BT also hate the time of year....cant think why

i can imagine that if water leaks into a lead and paper cable and then freezes it does quite some damage.

it can be said though that the cables are undergound and even if they do fail they are extremely unlikely to hurt anyone either through fire or electric shock.

You often still see old frayed service cables feeding a nice modern rewired system, with a brand new consumer unit, running off an ancient service main - looks a bit stupid to me though!! :LOL:

yep

the fact is unless it actually fails the rec don't give a f*ck.

plugwash said:
the fact is unless it actually fails the rec don't give a f*ck.

And Part P doesn't affect the RECs so they don't have to do anything to make it safe unlike the rest of the wiring in the house. ;)

And I'm starting to get the impression that when you point out to them their responsibilities regarding providing an earth, some are saying "You've got a TT supply now, mate".....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back