main fuse seal broken

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I have just purchased a new house and have discovered that the main 100a fuse coming from the supply head to the meter has no seal on it.
I know that this topic has reared its head in the past but there is allot of conflicting advice.
My REC is East Midlands Electricity Company (I think that right) and my supplier is British Gas.

My questions are
1. Should I ring my supplier and inform them?
2. What are the consequences of this [will they come around and re-seal? will they check installation? will they charge?
3. Can I get them to install an isolator between the meter and the consumer unit.
4. What would you expect them to charge / will they charge for this.
5. And a bit off topic, when an electrician tests a new installation what tests do they actually do?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
When you say a new house, do you mean new to you, or a brand new property?
The answers to your questions will be different as most of what you ask should already be in place and not needed.

My DNO would charge for a new isolator however my supplier did it for free. I suspect a reseal would be free too just say it was like that when you got there! :D

My advice is don't get your DNO involved go straight to your supplier.

Your DNO will refer all enquiries to your electricity supplier, end of. Just explain the situation as-is to them and they'll arrange things for you, if they dont, remember...

The letter is mightier than the phonecalll.

Sponsored Links
The house is not new sorry, it is an old house I have just purchased.

I will try and get my supplier to install an isolator FOC and re-seal it.

Thanks for the advice thus far, if anyone else can answer my other questions that would be even better :D

Hi Treefitty.

Just trying to delve a bit more into what you are planning to do.

You have a existing installation but you are asking also about a new installation.
when an electrician tests a new installation what tests do they actually do?
Is your intention that you are going to do some work (new circuits/new consumer unit/rewire)??

Please advise as there is different advice depending on what you are plotting! Also, pls advise what part of the UK you are in - there are different rules for different part of the country :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back