Service/Meter Upgrade?!?!?!?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
REC just told me that DNO upgrade for cutout has to come before REC will upgrade meter? Does this seem a little odd to you?

i.e. I can pull 100A through a 60A meter before the cutout goes?

Sponsored Links
CallEdsFirst said:
REC just told me that DNO upgrade for cutout has to come before REC will upgrade meter? Does this seem a little odd to you?

i.e. I can pull 100A through a 60A meter before the cutout goes?
A lot of meters are rated at 40 amps, on 60 or 100 amp fuses. No harm done.

Sponsored Links
meter-3.jpg

This one is only rated to 25A

100A cutout fuse feeding it :eek:

My DNO has also never heard of an isolator after the cutout but before the CU. Is it likely (depending on if i get a jobsworth) in this case that it can be fitted while he has the main fuse out? Is this technically notifiable? Additional accessory on an existing circuit? :LOL:

The reason being that they could offer me PME by all accounts, but I don't wanna swap the 100mA RCD main incomer for a mainswitch just yet (do I even have to at all?) An isolator would allow me to get that job sorted later on.

If you install an isolator with incoming and outgoing tails in advance of the meter guy, then when he does arrive, ask him nicely to connect the isolator tails to the meter.

And no, you don't have to replace the 100mA TD RCD if you don't want to - it's just not necessary any more.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back