Setting ceiling lights to come on

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When I am away from home I have timers which I use to turn a couple of lamps on and off at the chosen times but I would really prefer my ceiling light to come on as I think this looks more like someone is at home.

I have heard a couple of times recently that some people set their ceiling lights to come on by timer, how do I do that?

Sponsored Links
Fit a timer lightswitch. It replaces the existing switch and can be overridden. Alternatively wire a timer into the main cable supplying the circuit.

You can also buy timers that plug into the light fitting between the fitting and the lamp.

When I am away from home I have timers which I use to turn a couple of lamps on and off at the chosen times but I would really prefer my ceiling light to come on as I think this looks more like someone is at home.
Ah yes - the old trick of lighting up rooms at night with the curtains open so showing that the rooms are empty.

Sponsored Links
I never open my curtains anyway... never have in the 2 years I've been in this flat except for the first week I moved in before I bought the new curtains and the window fitters were there fitting the new DG..

Someone developed a flicking light that mimicked a TV behind closed curtains. That looked excellent. If I was worried about breakins (luckily I am not in my area) I would consider one of those........If I could find where they are sold!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back