Setting for Pump and Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, we've got a Glow worm Ultimate 50 FF (down stairs in the kitchen) and upstairs in the airing cupboard we have a Grundberg 15/50 pump.

We have noticed that a number of the radiators are cold at the bottom and hot on the top (not helped by airing them). We also have hot water running into the expansion tank in the attic causing steam to make the attic damp (the water in the tank is quite warm as well not just the water running into it).

My main question is whether turning the pump down would help the overflow issue, until we can get the system flushed out (which I think is what we need to do) I have also read that changing the pump setting could cause the water to overheat due to the water not moving fast enough.

If I do slow the pump is that moving the switch to the top or the bottom (it's currently in the middle).

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
If turning the pump down stops the pumping over, do it. you will save more grief having it not pump over than overheating, if it overheats you can turn the boiler 'stat down. Pumping over is a serious problem because it causes sludge in the system which blocks pipes etc and rots your rads from the inside.

I suspect a blocvked pipe between the Expansion pipe & the Coldfeed pipe next to it - common problem! see if a mgnet sticks to the copper pipe at this point thats your proof! ;)

Hi both, thanks for the speedy responses!

Ok I've checked the pipe I think you mean, there is one at the top of the tank which hot water is coming out of - I think it always does this when the heating is on) (I think this one is the heating overflow /expansion ;) )

One attached to the ball cock (cold water inlet) and another one down the bottom of the tank (the one I think you mean).

None of these attracts a magnet (where I can get at them through the insulation the people we bought the house off have had installed - we moved in about 6 months ago).

If I turn the pump down (moving the switch up?) what are the signs of over heating, just a boiling noise in the Gas Boiler?

Another unrelated thing thing I've noticed is that the overflow for this tank only goes part way across the attic then stops open ended over the attic floor... is this normal?! The cold water tank overflows outside..

Again many thanks for the quick replies.

Matt

Sponsored Links
The overflow should go outside, especially if you have a problem.

Can you post a pic showing the pump and the fitting on the side of the cylinder.

More is better so not too close up.

Yeah thought it should but as shown in the first pic (Overflow) it just ends (got a jug under it at the mo which I'm checking regularly just until we can get a hole drilled in our house for the overflow!)

Picture 2 (pump) shows the pump in situ.

Cheers

<edit> Hmm thought the pictures would be added to the post but they've gone in my album.... Hope that makes sense! <\edit>

I needed to see where the cold feed and vent connect, in relation to the pump.

Hi, sorry about that, as you can probably tell I know very little about central heating!

Right I've uploaded some more pictures hopefully one of those will show what you're after!

Thanks for your help.

Matt

Still can't see where the pipes are connected, if you move some of the insulation in the loft so that the pipes are more visible it may help, also in the airing cupboard can you get pic of the pipe(s) at the front, on the right.

I agree with YB, re the blockage.
The pics of the pipes in the attic only show bits and pieces of pipe, unless we can see a whole pice of pipe and where it is connected we cant say what may be right or wrong. the lagging/insulation can be replaced if disturbed.

HI, sorry for not replying sooner, I never got an email saying there had been a reply...

I'll check out the blockage with a magnet tonight.

Cheers

Think this may be sorted now... Noticed that it started over flowing stright away once the heating was put on (ie not enough time for the water to get hot and expand) Turned the pump down (switch up) and it seems to be sorted and all the radiators are still getting warm.

Cheers all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back