Setting Limits When Giving Out Advice......

Is advice from professionals 100% reliable? I ask this because I once saw a (supposedly) professional joiner on TV showing a bunch of wanabees how to do something with a chisel. And how did he do it; he grabbed the piece of wood by its far edge and started chiselling away - straight towards his wrist! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

To do this in front of his apprentices was bad enough, but to do it in front of a TV camera??? There are now millions of people out there who think that's the correct way to use a chisel. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Being a professional in any given job says nothing about the individual it just means they undertake that job to make a living ... There are good and bad pro's just as there are good and bad DIY'ers.

Peer validation often sorts out outright dangerous advice though this is not so clear when it comes to gas work IMO as many of the RGI's here feel obliged to prevent advice to DIY'ers from others which I don't agree with personally.

The bottom line, as with any time advice is asked for, is that the OP must use their own judgement about what advice to take on board.

MW

Despite any possible legal implications, from a purely pragmatic position, most DNO's couldn't care less whether a meter is sealed or not ... I've been in my current property 12 years and the meter has never had a seal.

The issue for the consumer comes if there is ever a billing dispute as they wouldn't have a hope in hell in court if the meter has been tampered with ... And the maximum sentence I think (if found guilty) is 10 years.

MW

Sponsored Links
It's definitely a grey area, I think, when giving out 'professional' advice over a medium like the web. I just thank God that there is no legal recourse from offering the wrong information........... or is there ? :eek:

I think on the whole, this is a cracking site, giving most trades a chance to offer good advice and opinion, with the odd bit of muscle flexing and one upmanship, on a literature front :D

:eek:

I think you meant
36_1_55.gif

tim west said:
Anyone got a remedy for a sore nose?

I recommend white petroleum jelly BP. (Why pay through the already sore nose for a brand name product.) Apply liberally before getting stuck in. ;) ;) ;)

what have you been doing with your nose to make it sore?

Sponsored Links
Back