Facebook

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Facebook hit 500 million users today. It's achieved this in just 6 years and is worth an estimated 10 Billion Dollars!

You can write virtually anything you want on Facebook without it being removed. It has it's knockers but it certainly has its advocates (at least 500 million of them!). You can conduct a discussion with people you 'know' and people you don't know ie friends of friends of friends of friends of friends.......etc etc. In other words, it is (among other things), a huge General Discussion forum and a forum to ask for help of others..... YES! just like this place!

So what's my point? My point is, if unrestricted discussions work and are successful, why 'restrict' and/or 'moderate' what 'you' as an Admin and/or Mod feel is acceptable? Why not allow people to write what they want on a Public Forum such as this? Whatever your opinion of Facebook it is undeniably popular and successful and whatever people write, be it good, bad, racist, offensive, popular, entertaining etc etc it is, for the most part, unmoderated/unrestricted. The site is actually 'self moderated' by it's users. If someone posts something offensive people attack them for it or they find themselves losing 'friends'. If you come across someone whose posts you find offensive you refrain from reading their posts.

Perhaps we need to take a leaf out of it's electronic pages?

Sponsored Links
It is also responsible for a huge upturn in 'on-line' bullying, especially amongst youngsters and has reportedly led to suicides.
Do you know that prospective employers may 'befriend' you under an alias to see what your 'true character-traits' are?
It may be good in some respects but it also has its 'hidden' dangers.

Anarchy comes at a price.
Yep.

It is also responsible for a huge upturn in 'on-line' bullying, especially amongst youngsters and has reportedly led to suicides.
Do you know that prospective employers may 'befriend' you under an alias to see what your 'true character-traits' are?
It may be good in some respects but it also has its 'hidden' dangers.
Prospective AND current employers use it to 'spy' on prospective/current employees conny. It could be argued that if you're honest you have nothing to worry about!

The bullying issue is, I believe, something that would happen whether Facebook came about or not. The fact that children have killed themselves as a result of such bullying does of course cause grave concern.

My post is intended as a discussion point which was provoked by the recent LOCKING and DELETING of threads that most, if not all of us, found preposterous.

Sponsored Links
Hasn't it got something to do with the fact that Facebook is not moderated so cannot therefore be held 'liable' for anything libellous written on their site? I've got a vague memory of someone trying to sue them, or another such site, but lost as FB couldn't be held responsible.

Whereas, if a site is moderated, it is responsible for controlling the content?

Hasn't it got something to do with the fact that Facebook is not moderated so cannot therefore be held 'liable' for anything libellous written on their site? I've got a vague memory of someone trying to sue them, or another such site, but lost as FB couldn't be held responsible.

This site doesn't HAVE TO BE moderated.

try and close your account down its nigh on immposible :cry:
not the case on here though - sometimes even when you don't want it to be :eek:

As for facebook, it's not that difficult to close your account down - there is a way of doing it quite easily which gives you a 3 day cooling off period to change your mind. I know, 'cos I've done it about 6 weeks ago. After that time, all traces are removed.

Oddly enough, if you close your account on forums using this format that we're on, or you have it disabled, all of the information on it still remains on file somewhere but admin may prevent anyone (other than himself presumably) from getting it back. So closing your account on here and having all traces removed is actually harder than doing it on facebook.

i tried it a month ago and it said your account is now suspended
to reactivate just sign in in the next 14 days

fantastic i thought dont go near it for 14 days wrong :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
there are so many hidden links from freinds family that take you to a facebook page that automaticly sign you in :rolleyes:

Don't know how that happened to you - I've just tried logging in and it's telling me it's never heard of me (well, my email address)

Prospective AND current employers use it to 'spy' on prospective/current employees conny. It could be argued that if you're honest you have nothing to worry about!

Agree in principle Blas, but how true to life are you in work compared to when you are at home?

In work I can swear with the best but at home I never do.
I can talk in depth with senior management about work loads, H&S, and future prospects for the company. At home I talk about the kids or what to have for tea.

Which is the true me?

This site doesn't HAVE TO BE moderated.
No it doesn't but whoever started this site obviously took the decision that they wanted it to be moderated.
Strangely enough, I recall saying the same thing as FLIPPINeck but about ****** and that thread wasn't locked. Should we summise from that therefore that the Taliban are more popular than ****** :eek: :LOL:

Agree in principle Blas, but how true to life are you in work compared to when you are at home?

In work I can swear with the best but at home I never do.
I can talk in depth with senior management about work loads, H&S, and future prospects for the company. At home I talk about the kids or what to have for tea.

Which is the true me?
All of them. If I were your Manager 'spying' on you I'd be more worried if you were discussing 'work loads, H&S, and future prospects for the company', whilst chatting to your pals online than I would if you were discussing recipes for tea. My earlier point was that if you're 'someone other than you make out', and you're found out, that's your problem. It's unlikely to get you sacked depending on your 'other life'!

Sponsored Links
Back