Setting out conundrum…

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all

ok, I have tiles being delivered in a few days and am trying to do a little pre-planning and have a conundrum I could do with your help on.

We are laying tiles in the attached pattern. The width of tiles ‘3’ and ‘4’ is 100cm. With a 3mm grout line that would be a max width of 100.9cm so say 101cm. These tiles are running down a hallway into the kitchen.

I THINK, the correct way to centralise this pattern is for the “centreline” of the hallway to run through the centre of tile ‘2’?

My issue is that the hallway is 106cm wide so, to my mind, I will end up needing slivers 2.5cm wide all along the edges of the hallway.

For those with a gift for setting things out, am I missing anything??

Thanks
Mark

Attachments

• D94B6344-2A97-461B-A83A-EFED80B8EEEC.jpeg
    D94B6344-2A97-461B-A83A-EFED80B8EEEC.jpeg
    127.5 KB · Views: 74
Sponsored Links
This is a tile forum post.

Snap controlling chalk lines - one down the centre and and one halfway at ninety degrees to the first control line.
Then, using the lines for reference, dry set out the larger tiles (with spacers) as best you can.
Move the central line to the right or left if needed, and move the middle line up or down as needed.

All tiles can be cut but try and stay with half tiles when cutting.
The slivers you show are bad practice.

Determine no skirtings, and what and how the tile will abut any thresholds

Thanks.

However, I think I’ve realised I am just at the mercy of bad luck. The tile pattern in 1m wide. My hallway is 106cm wide. It doesn’t matter how I shift the tile centreline, I will always end up with a thin cut. If I shift so things are lined up on one side this requiring a 5cm sliver on the other side I’m trying to see if I can get the sliver cuts to fall under the console table and into door openings (so they are slightly larger cuts).
I actually drew the tile pattern to scale on the computer and overlayed the hallway width to see if there was a layout I was missing. There wasn’t, it’s more down to minimising the number of these thin slivers

Sponsored Links
Turn the whole pattern through 90 degrees ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back