Setting TRVs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All..

Hoping for a bit of assistance with setting up a TRV.

Living room has 2 rads (which have recently been removed, flushed and refitted). One Rad gets warm pretty quickly but the other struggles. Both outlet valves (Lock vlaves??) are open and working ok.

I've taken the thermostat part off the TRV so I can see the pin and have tested the working of it by manually pushing it down to check for sticking (all tests OK).
My question is, what do all the little numbers mean that surround the plastic casing where the brass pin travels up and down? The numbers are from 1 - 6 and I have turned this part with some pliers which causes the actual sound of the water flowing into the rad to change (but just because the sound turns to a 'whooshing' noise I'm guessing this doesn't mean that the water is flowing in more freely!). Not sure what setting to have here so have just returned the valve back to its original setting. This valve also has an outer sleeve nut type thing.

TRV's are made by 'Lifestyle' and were fitted before I moved itno the property. Have also scoured the net to see if I can find a PDF or installation manual for them.........to no avail.

Can anybody advise or help?
Many thanks in advance.
Marco

Sponsored Links
marcoslupo said:
My question is, what do all the little numbers mean that surround the plastic casing where the brass pin travels up and down? The numbers are from 1 - 6...
1 means coolest, and 6 means hottest. It's as easy and uncomplicated as that.

...and I have turned this part with some pliers...
Eh? The part with the numbers on is attached to the thermostatic head, which you've removed. Is the head broken, perhaps?

Hi, thanks Softus........just to clarify as I think you've misunderstood me slightly......

No, the TRV head is already removed.....the part I am referring to with the little numbers is a small black sleeve type thing that sits around the pin. This part then has a sleeve nut that locks it into place.

the numbers you are talking about allow you to limit the the settings at which you can turn the trv head to when its in position.....for example if you were to put the little pins in slots 3 and 5 then you would only be able to set the trv between these points.

doing this is not going to solve the problem that you have in an adequate manner.....the system needs to be balanced properly and if that doesnt do it then it needs to be investigated further for possible corrosion/sludge or perhaps even installation defects.

as a diyer you can try to turn down the lockshield valve on the rad that performs best to see if restricting it improves the other rad.

Sponsored Links
Some trv's such as the Honeywell have these numbers on them so that you can use this as a lockshield valve thus restricting the flow if the valve is on the return end.

gas4you said:
Some trv's such as the Honeywell have these numbers on them so that you can use this as a lockshield valve thus restricting the flow if the valve is on the return end.

im not a big fan of using it for that cos the customer always moans he/she cant turn it up or down far enough.

if having the lockshield on the wrong side is affecting it that badly i would swop it round and balance with the lockshield....saves customer confusion IMHO

nickso said:
gas4you said:

im not a big fan of using it for that cos the customer always moans he/she cant turn it up or down far enough.

if having the lockshield on the wrong side is affecting it that badly i would swop it round and balance with the lockshield....saves customer confusion IMHO

I've never used them for this, just trying to give op a possible explanation of numbers ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back