Setting up a Sony KDL 32WE613

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help
Daughter has just purchased a Sony KDL32WE61 and as kids do and we have not much idea about how we can set it up with all the all the bits and pieces she would like to add. She needs to attach a sky box, LG NB3540 sound bar, DVD player and Wii to the set if possible. At the moment she has the sky box and DVD player connected via the two HDMI connections which are working OK.
Now the hard bit which is the best way connect the other two things or is there a better way to set the connections for TV up.
Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
When you buy a TV you (if you're sensible) check it has adequate connections for the various bits of kit you want to add, especially if you already have the kit. Has it only got the two HDMI connections? Does it have an Optical connection, does the LG need an Optical connection? If not what kind of connection does it need? What other connections does it (the TV) have?

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
I have just ordered the RCA from Ebay and I will have a look for the outputs and give that a try, fingers crossed. I will pass on you advice re thinking before you buy to my daughter she might take advice from you as I know nothing until she needs help.

Once again many thanks.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Did the dealer not offer an installation service?
No She got it from Argos and was told they do not do that service where she live.

The Wii is now working fine with the RCA but I am trying to find the correct connectors for cable from the soundbar to the TV. I can not find any socket on the TV to fix the optical output cable from the soundbar too. They both have a USB slot if I join these up will that work?
Thanks

Sony use a shared connection for the optical. It's on the side panel and it's marked Digital Audio Out (Optical)/Audio Out/[headphone symbol]. This is shown on page 28 of the GB Operating Instructions downloadable from here. What's throwing you is that it's not the conventional small rectangular Optical socket but a 3.5mm headphone jack instead.

There are Optical cables with the special version of the 3.5mm jack plug. Here's a low cost example. There are also adapter plugs to go from 3.5mm optical to normal TOSlink

Be aware, the optical 3.5mm isn't a normal headphone jack. The optical version has a path through the centre to carry the light signal. Normal headphone jack plugs don't have this.

The manual also details how to switch and set the menus to enable Optical out (see pages 25 and 26 - AV Setup). The correct setting for audio out is PCM.

Sony use a shared connection for the optical. It's on the side panel and it's marked Digital Audio Out (Optical)/Audio Out/[headphone symbol]. This is shown on page 28 of the GB Operating Instructions downloadable from here. What's throwing you is that it's not the conventional small rectangular Optical socket but a 3.5mm headphone jack instead.

There are Optical cables with the special version of the 3.5mm jack plug. Here's a low cost example. There are also adapter plugs to go from 3.5mm optical to normal TOSlink

Be aware, the optical 3.5mm isn't a normal headphone jack. The optical version has a path through the centre to carry the light signal. Normal headphone jack plugs don't have this.

The manual also details how to switch and set the menus to enable Optical out (see pages 25 and 26 - AV Setup). The correct setting for audio out is PCM.

Thanks for that I will give the cable you have mentioned a try. As you say what is putting a spanner in the works is having a different jack to fit the cable into.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back