Setting up kitchen wall for Tiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

About 2 years ago, I bought a new cooker and decided to tile the whole wall behind it in 10”x8(hxw) ceramic tiles.

As an afterthought, I have now decided to do the whole kitchen.

I seem to be struggling to set the wall with door & window. I need the top row to be a full tile – the bottom row doesn’t matter.

Does anyone have the time to assist me in this please ?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
whether this is correct for the tile experts here but when i do tiling,i will find the center of the whole wall then run the tile either side roughly and mark on the wall,working out the run for the window etc,if this doesnt work with the tiles already fitted then i would remove the existing tiles to get it to work correctly,better to lose a few rather then cock up the rest.hth.

It is partly esthetics and partly practicality.

It needs to look right and you want to avoid thin strips (but with a wet saw they can be accommodated now.

If you have already tiled one wall then the height will need to match - or it won't look right.

if the sink is in front of the window measure it up with the tiles centred on the window, as it is close to 6x tile size with a whole tile in the centre of the window. THat is the bit you will look at most often, then see how the other edges work out.

You also need to consider reveal depth and where tile joints will fall in the reveals.

Trail and error with pencil lines on the wall and only do it with tiles & adhesive once.

Sponsored Links
Many thanks IJWS15,

Believe it or not, I have done this dozens of times for other people,,,,,, other peoples seem so easy, but when doing your own, its different.

If I knew that I’d do it all from the beginning, I would have started with the window.
Luckily (!?) my kitchen is very narrow. The entry door from the hall is opposite the back door (in picture). Once inside the kitchen, you turn right & look down it, with the window on the left. Its not as though anyone will stand in front of it & looking directly at it,,,, but it still needs to be as ‘right’ as I can make it.

As I say, I need a full tile at the top row. The bottom row has limited viewable bits, so is less important (although the wall that I have done starts and ends with afull tile).

I think the door reveals are about 4” & the window 3”.

I have already started measuring & marking the wall,,,,, but I can't just get it to ‘sit’ right.

For some reason, I thought there might be a ‘table’ or ‘idiots guide’ out there.

This’ll teach me to buy a new cooker !

cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back