Severed Cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have severed the cable on my lawn mower.
What is the best way of repairing this?
I went to pay a cable connector, but there was a warning label on the packet, "not suitable for outdoor use"

Sponsored Links
When the label says "not suitable for outdoor use", it's referring to water resistance. Assuming you're not going to be mowing your lawn in the rain, it'll be fine - just make sure it's suitably rated for the current you're drawing.

Having said that, Ban is right in saying that the best thing is to replace the whole cable. Again, make sure that the flex you buy is the appropriate rating, make sure your connections at the lawnmower end are tight and secure, and if you're using a new plug make sure it has the correct fuse.

Another point, do you have an RCD? Check your consumer unit (fusebox, as they used to be known) - if not, you should be using a plug-in variety.

since its a lawn mower i presume you sliced through i?
may i uggest you drape the cable over your shoulder on the side that it meets the lawn mower, this way it keeps it off the ground near the "business end" of your lawn mower

Sponsored Links
ninebob said:
When the label says "not suitable for outdoor use", it's referring to water resistance. Assuming you're not going to be mowing your lawn in the rain, it'll be fine - just make sure it's suitably rated for the current you're drawing.
I don't know what sort of a lawn you have, but if you've never mowed it when there's moisture on it you're a very lucky man....

Greenbrook make a waterproof tube type connector for just this repair, but to be honest, I would replace the whole lot.

Is the longest length of the severed cable long enough to act as the new cable, before you go rushing ou and buying a new length?

ninebob said:

Ninebob, I think you should edit that piece out of your post as others reding it may think any type of connection would be ok mif it isn't raining. You know some idiot will use connector blocks!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back