Severn Trent pipework

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi,
had a severn trent engineer round to determine the cause of the hissing sound under the floor of the conservatory. Found to be a leaking pipe which goes under our conservatory to serve the next door neighbour.
we have been told that it isnt severn trents responsibility and we should contact a plumber!
does this sound right? dont seven trent have to sort out their leaks?

cheers andy

Sponsored Links
Hi there,

If it is inside your bondary it is YOUR responsibilty, there only cover upto the land boundary.

Rico

First problem is it's next doors supply,so it's next doors problem.

If I were you i'd first be calling your insurance company as if it's under your conservatory it's not going to be easy.let them decide who you should call.

If I were you i'd first be calling your insurance company as if it's under your conservatory it's not going to be easy.let them decide who you should call.

Sponsored Links
lcgs";p="1490119 said:

yes we live in a semi detached house and the supply pipe comes along the side of the house direct from the main pipe and into the kitchen, it seems as if this then carries on behind the house to supply next doors property.

So in theory i could cut/cap off and remove pipework on my property?
evn though it supplied next door?

I'd be back on to St water to give each property it's own supply.

You could cut it and cap it and then tell next door it's there problem,just depends how much you like your neighbour.

the next door property is a council owned property but the tenant is an old lady so i dont want to cut her off

Which was kinda why I advised you get in touch with your insurance company to see if your covered.

You`re going to have to get digging, I`m afraid . 2 foot 6 deep for a new blue MDPE plastic water supply for you and your neighbour . Good news is the pipe is as cheap as chips :idea: Water co. should give you a price for connecting new laid pipe to their supply ...and for the old Lady ask about getting a water meter for her house - single occupants of houses Save Money on meters - and often they are fitted free :idea: . You don`t want eroding soil under your conservatory

as we are on a shared supply with the neighbour, and just say both properties were on water meters, so we would both only be paying for water we used from the point of our meters. Then who would be paying for the leaked water between the properties?

hi lcgs,
yes its next doors supply but we are on a shared supply with the water first coming to my property then on to her property,but apparantely the leak is situated under my property!

like i said, i could just cap it off but where would that leave my neighbour?

as we are on a shared supply with the neighbour, and just say both properties were on water meters, so we would both only be paying for water we used from the point of our meters. Then who would be paying for the leaked water between the properties?
Sorry, meant dig one trench with 2 pipes in -one for you , one for neighbour . . Also I assumed the new meters would be underground @ the water co stopcock :oops: Probably assumed too much ;) Try talking to council and see what they say about their property. I`m afraid I tend to do things and ask later - and I hate office wallahs :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back